Airbrushing/Iwata airbrush needle problem

I have the iwata eclipse and when i press down and forward its only suppose to shoot air not paint and it is spraying paint. This is a problem because i cant get fine detail. Im wondering if the needle was damaged( doesnt look it) or am i reassembling it wrong after cleaning..any feedback would be helpful thank u

It could be a couple things, Nick.
The most likely cause is your cone (also called the nozzle, part # 4 on the Iwata Eclipse parts guide). It could be stretched out or split, or have a thin ring of dried paint inside that is keeping the needle from seating properly. Also check the place where the nozzle sits in the airbrush body to be sure there's no dried paint there.

I don't think it's anything misassembled, but the needle chucking guide (part # 14 ) might not be screwed in all the way, allowing the needle or the button (needle guide, part #16) to seat improperly. Lube your needle a bit with your lube of choice to be sure it's not sticking. I use valve oil made for brass band instruments.

Just remember that the needle has to be back a little for paint to come out, so just look at all the parts that pertain to guiding the needle and make sure they're clean.

The last things to check are the consistency of your paint and your air pressure. If the paint's too thin or the pressure's too high it can sometimes cause this problem.

Let me know if this solved your problem. Thanks for writing!

Ellen Choate

I can answer questions relating to basic and advanced airbrushing technique, general how-tos, preparation and compatible media for different substrates, proper paint-to-air ratios, troubleshooting, color theory, maintenance and repair, stencil cutting and use, and most other areas relating to airbrush. I'll be posting tutorials in the future if that would be helpful, and if possible.

I learned to airbrush the hard way, watching and collaborating with people who didn't know much more than I did. Later I got instruction from people who knew what they were doing and learned what I had been doing wrong. I have been airbrushing for over 30 years; the first two years were in an amusement park painting as fast as I could, often for 12 hours a day, six days a week. You get good real fast. I have painted on almost everything imaginable, from walls to a bus to prosthetic limbs.

I studied art at the University of Texas at Arlington for three years but haven't made the time to complete my now obsolete "graphic arts" degree. We did layouts and color separations by hand, thank you very much. It has served me well, but not in the way I expected.