Airbrushing/Dangers of airbrushing.

Question
I am curious to know all the safety precautions of airbrushing.

For example is proper room ventilation needed for long-term health reasons or compressor explosion (if that's something that happens)?

Are there different precautions to take when using acrylics, silicones, or beauty make-up?

Please let me know, thanks.

Answer
First of all, let me say that for some reason this question never showed up in my email and I only found it by coming to AllExperts looking for something else.  My apologies.

On to your question, if you're still interested, or for those who might come searching later.

I actually had a compressor "blow" one time, sort of.  I hadn't been draining the moisture from the tank properly and it was an old compressor.  It went 'pop' and 'psssshhhttt' and I unplugged it.  Rust had eaten a weak place in the tank and it let go.  No injuries, no damage, just a new compressor.  That said, I think I was probably lucky, and I think it would be possible to have a catastrophic tank failure if you don't drain the moisture on a regular basis, and keep the motor oil fresh if you have one that requires that.  

Don't use flammable paints near your compressor.  When a compressor cycles on and off it can spark inside the housing and I suppose that could cause a fire or explosion if there were enough fumes accumulated in the room.  Run a fan, paint outside or put your compressor in another room.

Ventilation is your friend anyway.  You don't need lungs full of pretty colors.  A mask or respirator is a very good idea.  

When airbrushing make up, make sure you keep the pressure low, 10 or 15 psi max. Cover your subjects' eyes with cotton pads when airbrushing foundation.  Be careful.

As far as different precautions for different paints, as long as you're talking about water based paints, the only thing is to protect you by using a mask or respirator so you don't breathe the stuff all day.  

I hope this answered your question fully; if not, let me know and we'll have another go at it.

Happy and healthy painting!

Airbrushing

Ellen Choate