Alfa Romeo Repair/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
overheating proplems with alfa 1454/7/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: hi i drive a Alfa 145 2l recently it overheats a lot i have replaced the thermostat and fluched the ...
  A: As the temperature rises in a confined space so does the pressure. The cap is supposed to relieve ...
alfa 156 2litre4/6/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: When i clutch to change down gears the the idler goes right down causing the car to stall. i have ...
  A: First is to clean the carbon out of the idle motor channels and the throttle body. Then check for ...
1990 SPIDER VELOCE4/6/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I can not get my car to start after it sat for about 2 months. I have spark at the coil and the ...
  A: Under some conditions fuel can stay good for years and with the right combination of weather fuel ...
Spider not performing4/5/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: i have a 1996 2.0 tspark spider which doesn't seem as lively as it should be. I got my mechanic to ...
  A: If I saw those two codes I would suspect a bad plug connection or a poor reference voltage signal to ...
Alfa 156 Selespeed stuck in neutral4/3/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My neighbor has this car which, about twice/month, shifts itself into neutral and stays there for ...
  A: The pump might stop working because of poor electrical connections. Clean the battery terminals and ...
156 2.5 V6 rough idle and hesitation4/1/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My 156 has a rough idle after it is fully warmed up. It also has hesitation every now and again ...
  A: Neither. If you do not have access to an oscilloscope then you must do a "plug cut" to start ...
Cold Start pt. 24/1/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My apologies for neglecting to mention that I have replaced the battery and the mechanic checked the ...
  A: You did not indicate whether or not it started and ran fine in the summer and nothing was done in ...
Cold start problem3/31/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: 74 Alfa GTV 2000 This winter I'm having a major problem starting my car in the morning. I have a ...
  A: If the cold start device is not energized with ignition on then there could be a fault in the ...
How to Build an Airflow Adjustment Device3/29/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My Alfa Spider's auxiliary air valve opens too much, so that the cold idle is too fast. If I adjust ...
  A: The idle fuel cutoff is not an emissions feature. The fuel cut off on deceleration is an emissions ...
Alfa 156 front coil springs3/28/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: . I have a Alfa 156 2l T-Spark and want to lower the suspension got the coil springs from the UK now ...
  A: First off: this is why you should reconsider lowering the vehicle for the public roads. 1) You will ...
alfa 156 v6 overheating3/27/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: It Keeps overheating, I have had a new radiator , thermostat and replaced both head gaskets. it only ...
  A: Based on what you wrote: the V-6 is self bleeding if all the plumbing is as designed. You can check ...
164 hiccups3/25/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have ordered the O2 sensor and I will replace the plugs and wires this week. The oil was recently ...
  A: For a problem like this I start with the battery and the ground connections. Clean the battery ...
HICCUPS3/24/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My 91 164 has developed a bad case of the hiccups......While driving, the engine intermmitently cuts ...
  A: Replace the sparkplugs with NGK BPR-6ES unless you keep it above 3K RPM and then use NGK BPR-73S. ...
alfa spider 19843/23/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: Just purchased and Alfa that had not been driven in 10 years. cleaned the tank, replaced sock and ...
  A: Check twice that the plug wire sequence in the cap is good. Then check the ignition timing. The ...
noise on my alfa 1563/21/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: hi i have just rebuilt my top end after the cam belt snapped on my alfa 156 i have reground all ...
  A: It is a mistake to grind bent valves. It is also not a good idea to regrind modern valves. Take it ...
156 jtd starting3/21/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: have read about your starting problem, thought i would share mine with you. had the car serviced and ...
  A: It is probably either the ignition module or the fuel pump. And it may be shut down by the security ...
145 2.0ts Electrical horror3/21/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: Yesterday - I had a completely flat battery. Seems the stereo was left on, judging by the way it has ...
  A: You need to replace the battery first off. Then, it will take 10 miles of driving for the computer ...
Engine Problem3/19/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I recently bough a 147 JTD and the car works just fine in low speed, when I press the pedal at 80 ...
  A: It is quite probable that you have a temporary lean condition. It is also true that if the light ...
Oil leak, selespeed box.3/10/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: Just found your interesting website. I have 2000 156 Selespeed. 70,000 miles. Have had normal ...
  A: I am in the USA and do not have access to newer manuals. However, replacing a seal is a very ...
1990 alfa spuider fans do not come on3/3/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: My spider is heating up and I noticed the electric fans are not coming on (I live in Florida-big ...
  A: The easy part first. In your area I would use a 20w-50 regular oil. I am in Montana and so use a ...
alfa 166 2.53/1/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: i have a Alfa 166 2.5 petrol the problem i have is the hot air does not work the temp gage on the ...
  A: You did not state what the indicated temperature is. Assuming it is above 180 degrees F then this is ...
Spider Relays Common Failure Points3/1/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: 1984 Spider. Lots of new parts, original wiring. Running very well at this point (many thanks to ...
  A: Grounds that are directly exposed to the elements have the most trouble. But, unless a problem ...
Jetronic Aux Air Valve / Idle Performance2/26/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I tested O2 Sensor Output Voltage with a DMM and an OScope in parallel. O2 Sensor output was still ...
  A: The DMM cannot read the cycle of the O2 sensor. All the readings are correct and the system is ...
rough after warm2/18/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have a problem w/ my 1985 graduate that after it warms up and I turn it off, when I restart it ...
  A: If you mean the fuel line, those hoses are not made with silicon--they are high pressure hose that ...
Jetronic Aux Air Valve / Idle Performance2/11/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I'm shining a flashlight into my 1984 Alfa Spider's Auxiliary Air Valve. How wide should the ...
  A: About half the area should be open around 30F. Any Bosch air valve will do so get the best price. ...
Re: Repairing an Alfa Spider2/9/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: Are Alfa Romeo Spiders "easy" to fix or are they "difficult" to deal with like a B.M.W? I would ...
  A: It is expected that you know proper procedures and really do understand how to diagnose electrical ...
Over revving2/7/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I own an Alfa 156 2.0ts. When warm and idling the engine revs race from about 400 to 2000revs, the ...
  A: The MAF sensor may need cleaning or the MAP sensor vacuum tube may be clogged. However, I need more ...
Spider starts, then dies2/6/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: 1984 Spider, Bosch L-Jetronic. I just got my cold-start problem fixed and now it starts IMMEDIATELY ...
  A: Fully warm the idle should be 1000rpm. With the lead to the O2 sensor disconnected attach a digital ...
torque2/4/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: Can you tell me the torque required for heads on a 1991 model 164? or where can I get this ...
  A: the shop manual gives a range of 10-11 nm (newton meters) the middle of that with english measure is ...
2.0 twinspark cloverleaf2/3/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have an Alfa 145 with the above engine. The engine has lost power to the extent that it is very ...
  A: You must have 100k miles on it to have had the plugs changed... This means the cam belts should have ...
service2/1/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: selespeed 2002... i want to know this because i think the servive is too expensive and they charge ...
  A: Changing the timing belt is a precision job that can easily be misdhandled if you are inexperienced. ...
89 Alfa Milano Gold electrical issue1/15/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I purchased an 89 Milano Gold that has spark but doesn't start. I removed the alarm system thinking ...
  A: fuse #13 powers the fuel pump and it gets its feed from relay #148 which is next to the fuse bank at ...
fuel /crankcase?1/12/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have 74 spider spica injected 2000 after 3 months stored went to start and fuel was spuing out of ...
  A: It is probably seal failure in the injection pump. Drain the oil, blow out the cylinders with ...
Alfa Romeo 145 Boxer 1996 1.41/11/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: The car just came back from the garage. They didn't find any wrong codes during the checkup. ...
  A: This usually happens when the fuel pump is failing. When tested it can appear good but fails ...
alfa no tickover1/7/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: theres that many sensors and with it having electronic injection iam puzzeled at what it could be ...
  A: A code has been set and a scanner will give you the code. However, the fuel pump can quit anytime ...
white smoke1/4/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I found the problem, it's was a leaking break master cylinder leaking back through the vacuum ...
  A: I should have picked up on the intermittent part. I am sure you did not get all the air out. Use a ...
Misses when warmed up1/2/2007Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have a 1987 Graduate that has been running great for the last 6 years. Your recently helped me ...
  A: It is a lean miss. You can try advancing the ignition timing to 6btdc. But, another thing to do is ...
spider oil pressure12/30/2006Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have an 89 spider quad with 109k miles. I run 0w40 synthetic oil and the oil pressure gauge has ...
  A: I am finding that the car guys are getting overenthusiastic about how thin an oil can be used. You ...
car will not start12/30/2006Stephen Sokol
  Q: I have a 1990 alfa romeo spyder graduate 40000 miles, the car has been excellent, but since I have ...
  A: If you are not using the vehicle, disconnect the negative lead from the battery and connect a ...
Alfa Spider Veloce 1974 2liter12/29/2006Stephen Sokol
  Q: Just started my car and noticed major oil smoke from exhaust and no oil pressure at gauge. Car was ...
  A: It is highly probable that the valve stem seals have given up--if you see blue smoke as opposed to ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7   |  Next       All

Alfa Romeo Repair