Algebra/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Maths3/8/2017Socrates
  Q: How far would the cyclist travel if the tyre made 250 revolution? (diameter is 66cm)
  A: Pi times the diameter is the circumference. The circumference is thus 3.14259 x 66 = 207.345 cm ...
Algebra11/18/2016Frederick Koh
  Q: Intuitively, I know that the answer to the following is: x = 3. However, I cannot prove it ...
  A: The problem you suggested is rather interesting. Trying to crack things apart by brute force ...
Algebra-Compound Inequalities10/22/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: I have to write a compound inequality for this problem and I'm not the best with Algebra, so I need ...
  A: An inequality is written if one side is known to be less than the other. For example, 1<3, which is ...
Finding y-intercept of quadratic without knowing equation9/18/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: My trig teacher was talking about finding the y-intercept of a quadratic equation from a table, ...
  A: Once we know the parabola in the form of y = ax˛ + bx + c, it can be done. The y intercept is found ...
A question about proofs in college algebra8/9/2016Socrates
  Q: The following is a proof of a false theorem, the required from me is to determine the flaw in the ...
  A: The flaw is in the hidden assumption that the least such n is 3 or greater. In fact , the least such ...
Two candidates having same number of votes.7/25/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is the following question valid? In a election out of n number of candidates standing, find out the ...
  A: Yes, it is possible. However, it is not very likely. I'll assume that the election has a 50-50 ...
Finding n7/10/2016Abe Mantell
  Q: I need help with a math problem. The problem is 6/(n-4)=10/n and I'm not sure how to solve for n. ...
  A: Whenever two fractions are equal to each other, we can always "cross multiply" and get an equivalent ...
Problem of advance functional analysis5/19/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Helo, sir I try to prove it through some ways but I can't do I feel your help if you can sort out ...
  A: Any number in the complex number system can be expressed as a+bi. If we take the inverse of a+bi we ...
Rearrange equation4/28/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: But I am just seeking clarification on this type of equation. I have not done this since school and ...
  A: If the current close is close to the lowest low when compared to how close the highest high is to ...
albebra3/17/2016Abe Mantell
  Q: three months ago the tennis pro shop ordered 150 tennis racquets and 50 pairs of tennis shoes for ...
  A: Let x=the cost per tennis racquet, and y=the cost per pair of tennis shoes. Thus, we get: 1. 150x + ...
Overload protection for Cable Car - Aerial Lift Tramway.3/9/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is it possible to design Audible Alarm system for Cable Car which will trigger alarm bells on ...
  A: Yes, and all they would need to do is wire it in to prevent movement if he load is exceeded. Of ...
Overload protection for Elevators.3/8/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is it possible to design audible alarm system for Elevators which will trigger alarm bells on ...
  A: Yes, and perhaps it would be good to give it an obnoxious noise, so people would be urged to get ...
Binary... Operation3/4/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Mathematics is my favorite subject, but the following question makes me feel that mathematics is ...
  A: Since a * b = a + b + ab, this says we only take two numbers at once. Since the 1st two numbers are ...
HELP2/23/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: sIR I WANT TO KNOW WHAT IS AN ALGEBRIC EXPRESSION. PLEASE ANSWER.
  A: An algebraic expression is one involving some unknown quantity. Once this quantity is known, a ...
Table gives vague values for estimating space vessel tonnage. Unable to determine number relationship and find governing equation.2/14/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: and thank you for offering to answer questions. Though I am pretty sure the answer will be obvious ...
  A: I took the table and given the length, computed a value that is a rough approximation of the volume ...
Maths2/6/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Trying to work out: 8.75squared - 1.25 squared I can do it by just multiplying out each side but ...
  A: The problem is 8.75˛-1.25˛. There are three ways to do it without a calculator. 1) As can be ...
help2/5/2016Richard J. Raridon
  Q: Sir in algabric expressions i have 2 0r 3 a doubt regarding types of expressions My first doubt ...
  A: An algebraic expression is called a monomial if it has only one term, such as -3x or 7xy/9. Two ...
what is a counterexample2/2/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Scott! Can you clear up this one that confuses me? "Give a counterexample to show that the ...
  A: Upon getting this question, I too am confused. Send this question to the publisher of the book, for ...
Finding a graphic solution to an equation1/28/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: I've come across a problem whose on-site solution does not appear to be correct. The topic is ...
  A: I'm not sure what the correct answer is by looking at the problem. We need to multiply it out, put ...
Find the vertex (Algebra II)1/6/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Find the Vertex of (x-3)2+5? Solve by completing the square: x2+2x-15 = 0? and Write the ...
  A: I take it the 2 at the end is really for a square, as in (x-3)2 is (x-3)˛. If y = (x-3)˛ + 5, the ...
equations12/6/2015Richard J. Raridon
  Q: How to solve this -95A+20B=40 -20A-95B=100?
  A: First, divide each equation by 5 to get -19A+4B= 8 and -4A-19B =20. Multiply the first equation by ...
logarithm base 211/27/2015Socrates
  Q: How to get exact value of log2(1000000) ,i.e log base 2. By simple scientific calculator or by ...
  A: You can't give an exact value for log2 (1,000,000) using decimals or fractions because it's an ...
maths - exponential equation11/25/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: 2^(x+4) - x^(x+2)=3? m^n=121 ,m and n whole nos then (m-1)^n+1=? 2^x=3^y=6^-z then 1/x+1/y+1/z=? ...
  A: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2^(x+4) - ...
Algebra11/22/2015Frederick Koh
  Q: yeah sorry that was my bad. The index is x^(5/4). (Simplify equation)
  A: [(y^ 1/2)/(x^ 3/4) - (x^ 5/4)/(y^ 3/2)]^4 = {(y-x^2)/ [(x^ 3/4)(y^ 3/2)] }^4 (Combine both ...
Metallic Business Card.10/16/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is it possible to design and Construct a Metallic Business card?. Examples - Aluminium, titanium ...
  A: I'm sure its possible, but is it cheap enough to do? Right now I believe that plastic ones are far ...
college algebra10/14/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: An airplane flew in a direct line from its base at the rate of 300miles an hour and returned over ...
  A: Sorry about the delay ... Since d = rt. We know that d = 300t and d = 250(t+15). Setting these ...
Multiplying negative and positive variables...7/22/2015Richard J. Raridon
  Q: I'm having trouble with a question in my algebra self-study course. The question is written out as ...
  A: Your answer -k^2a makes it look like 2a is the exponent whereas a multiplies the quantity -k^2. ...
"Magic Pentagon"6/11/2015Richard J. Raridon
  Q: a pentagon has 10 empty spaces around its perimeter; 1 on each corner and 1 in the middle between ...
  A: I'm also Ricardo - Richard I solved it for 14 in a few minutes. First, I recognized that the big ...
Mathematics3/12/2015Socrates
  Q: Pls. help me solve this complex number question, sir. Find the square root of the complex number ...
  A: You need the square roots of 3-2i and -2+i. I will find the roots of 3-2i, then leave the roots of ...
Algerbra 2: parabolas2/8/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: Find a for the parabola: Y-5=a(x-4)^2 that passes through (5,3)
  A: All that needs to be done is to put (5,3) is for (x,y) and solve for a. That gives 3-5 = a(5-4)^2. ...
need help solving a problem2/3/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: X-3.75=1/18
  A: Convert 3.75 to a fraction. Note that 0.25 is 1/4, so 0.75 is 3/4. The integer 3 is 12/4, so 12/4 + ...
fractions1/28/2015Abe Mantell
  Q: I'm struggling so bad with fractions. I'm in math 098 in college and we are doing simple algebraic ...
  A: Have you searched the Internet for help sites? Here are some links for you: ...
algebra 21/27/2015Abe Mantell
  Q: Emilee and Charles shoot a rocket into the air during Mr. Jones' physics class at an initial ...
  A: Assuming the 128 ft/sec is vertical (i.e. straight up), then... h(t)=128t-16t^2 gives the equation ...
A factoring question1/23/2015Abe Mantell
  Q: There is a tiny part of my math lesson that I am not quite getting. Here is the example problem: ...
  A: Consider this problem: 2x+6y-2=2(x+3y-1), yes? Now look at: ...
Simultaneous linear equation with three unknowns1/21/2015Scott A Wilson
  Q: Solving simultaneous linear equation with three unknows is a damn knotty problem to me. Though, with ...
  A: To solve each of them, I write down the problem in matrix format. Once this has been done, I get a 1 ...
Electricity Bill11/17/2014Scott A Wilson
  Q: Indian electricity prices have risen from Rs.6.4 to Rs.6.5 per unit. Arvi's factory expected to use ...
  A: Arvi expects to use 600 units in the next billing period. His bill will be reduced by multiplying ...
How do I subtract this equation with variables?11/9/2014Scott A Wilson
  Q: I am currently reviewing for my upcoming math class placement test. I got to this one algebra ...
  A: To do this, first the bases need to factored. It's just like math where prime factors are found. ...
square root11/2/2014Scott A Wilson
  Q: If x^4 + lx^3+ mx^2+12x+9 is a perfect square then find value of l and m? Here ^ denotes exponent.? ...
  A: Yes, the ^ symbol denotes an exponent. To be a perfect square, we need (ax^2 + bx + c)^2 to be ...
Algebra10/30/2014Scott A Wilson
  Q: Having a hard time solving cubed root of 54-cubed root 16.
  A: I'm not sure I understand this question. I can tell you the cube root means what is multiplied ...
Algebra/ Matrix10/27/2014Scott A Wilson
  Q: How do I solve this? Please explain. 3[2 0] [-10 5] [-1 5]-2x =[0 17]
  A: It would appear that x was a 2x2 matrix as well. It can be solved by solving each equation in each ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Algebra

Scott A Wilson

Top Expert on this page