Algebra/algebra two

Question
Use the Rational Roots Theorem to solve the equation for the rational roots

x3 - 3x2 + 4x - 12 = 0

Answer
Hi Ashley, I will be glad to help you.

The rational roots theorem says that if a polynomial with integer coefficients has rational roots they would be of the form + c/a where c is a factor of the constant term, here -12, and a is the factor of the leading coefficient, here 1.  Since the leading coefficient is 1, we do not need to worry about any fractional roots.  Any integer roots would be a plus or minus factor of 12.  Thus, all possible rational roots are -1, 1, -2, 2, -3, 3, -4, 4, -6, 6, -12, 12.  Using your calculator, you can find one root and then use synthetic division to factor out that root and get a quadratic equation, on which you could use the quadratic formula.

The polynomial x3 - 3x2 + 4x -12 nicely factors by grouping

x3 - 3x2 + 4x -12
x2(x - 3) + 4(x - 3)
(x2 + 4)(x - 3)

The integer root is 3

I hope this helps

Anne  

Algebra

Anne Losch