Algebra/ASAP! College Algerbra 1 word problem

Please help I need this before 11 please!!

Collin, I would be glad to help.  First, you need to multiply both sides by 5 to get (x - 9)^2 = 45.  The next step would be to take the square root of both sides to get rid of the exponent.  This would get (x - 9) =  + or - sqrt(45). Notice the plus or minus, because there are two square roots of a positive number, one positive and one negative since positive times positive = positive and negative times negative = positive.  Now, sqrt(45) can be simplified to 3* sqrt(5) since 45 = 9 * 5 and the square root of nine is 3 ( we already have the plus or minus so we just take positive 3).

X - 9 = + or - 3 sqrt(5).  
Adding 9 to both sides we get the solution

X = 9 + or - 3 sqrt(5)

Good luck in Math :)

Anne Losch

Solving equations, graphing, evaluatin equations, factoring, functions, systems of equations, rational equations, exponent, complex numbers, word problems, logarithms, polynomials, and all topics in an Algebra 1, Algebra 2, or College Algebra class

I have a teaching certificate, I have taught Algebra 1 & 2 as well as tutored those subjects and tutored in College Algebra.

NEA, past NCTM, MAA, AMS, and ASCD

I hold a B.S. in mathematics and computer science from an accredited university and have gone back to school to get my teacher certificate. I hold more than enough credits for an education minor.

I have worked at tutoring centers including Sylvan Learning and Huntington Learning Center. I have posted answers to mathematical questions on but would rather volunteer with AllExperts.