This problem is driving me crazy. I could sure use your help.

The weight of a fish varies jointly as its girth and the square of its length. One fish weight in at 19.4 lb and measured 34 in long with 18 in girth. How much would a fish 30 in long with 19 in girth weigh.
Round to the nearest tenth as needed.

Since it says it varies directly with the girth, the new weight would be 19/18 of the old weight.
Since it varies with the square of its length, the new weight would be found by multiplying by (30/34)^2.  Note that 30/34 is the same as 15/17.

Since 19.4(19/18)(15/17)^2 = 15.94290657...,
to the nearest tenth, the new weight is 15.9 lb.

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.