An airline is planning its staffing needs for the next year. If a new route is approved, it will hire 840 new employees. If a new route is not granted, it will hire only 112 new employees. If the probability that a new route will be granted is 0.34, what is the expected number of new employees to be hired by the airline?
(Round to the nearest whole number.
I can't see to figure this problem out, sure could use your help.

Hiring won't occur until the new route is approved or not.

If the possibility of the new route is 0.34.
That means the chance of no new route is 1 - 0.34 = 0.66.

Taking each probability times the number of employees gives 0.34*840 + 0.66*112.
That gives 285.6 + 73.92 = 359.52, which is the same as 360 employees.

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.