Algebra/graphing etc

Question
A line passes through the point (-5,-8)  and has a slope of 4 . Write an equation for this line..

Also find the slope of 3x-4y=2

Answer
The equation for a line is y - y0 = m(x - x0).
We are given (x0,y0) = (-5,-8) and m=4, so this makes the equation be y + 8 = 4(x + 5).
As can be seen, (-5,-8) is a point on this curve and the slope is what is multiplied by x,
and that is 4.  This is since the multiple on y is 1.  This multiplies out to y + 8 = 4x + 20.  Getting the y by itself gives y = 4x + 12.

When put in the form of y = mx + b, m is the slope.
Adding -3x to both sides leaves only the y term on the left, and it is -4y = -3x + 2.
Dividing by -4 gives y by itself, and the answer is y = 3x/4 + 1/2.

Algebra

Scott A Wilson