Algebra/graphing etc

A line passes through the point (-5,-8)  and has a slope of 4 . Write an equation for this line..

Also find the slope of 3x-4y=2

The equation for a line is y - y0 = m(x - x0).
We are given (x0,y0) = (-5,-8) and m=4, so this makes the equation be y + 8 = 4(x + 5).
As can be seen, (-5,-8) is a point on this curve and the slope is what is multiplied by x,
and that is 4.  This is since the multiple on y is 1.  This multiplies out to y + 8 = 4x + 20.  Getting the y by itself gives y = 4x + 12.

When put in the form of y = mx + b, m is the slope.
Adding -3x to both sides leaves only the y term on the left, and it is -4y = -3x + 2.
Dividing by -4 gives y by itself, and the answer is y = 3x/4 + 1/2.

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.