Algebra/How do i solve Motion Problems

motion problem
motion problem  
How would i solve the attached motion problem using a chart ?

Since one is going at 40 knots and the other is travelling in the opposite direction at 30 knots, the distance between them is increasing by 40+30 = 70 knots per hour.
The equation for this distance is y = 70x, where is is hours and y is nautical distance.

To answer when y is 350 gives 350 = 70x, so divide both sides by 70.
This gives 350/70 = x, so x is 5 hours.

To use a chart, put each hour on the x axis and every 10 miles on the y axis.
Graph y = 7x.  When x is 5, y can be seen to be 35.  Since this is in 10 mile increments,
35*10 = 350.

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.