Algebra/How do i solve Motion Problems

Question
motion problem
motion problem  
How would i solve the attached motion problem using a chart ?

Answer
Since one is going at 40 knots and the other is travelling in the opposite direction at 30 knots, the distance between them is increasing by 40+30 = 70 knots per hour.
The equation for this distance is y = 70x, where is is hours and y is nautical distance.

To answer when y is 350 gives 350 = 70x, so divide both sides by 70.
This gives 350/70 = x, so x is 5 hours.

To use a chart, put each hour on the x axis and every 10 miles on the y axis.
Graph y = 7x.  When x is 5, y can be seen to be 35.  Since this is in 10 mile increments,
35*10 = 350.

Algebra

Scott A Wilson