Algebra/Algebra 1

Cost for copies is a linear function of the number of copies. If 100 copies cost $16.00,and 125 copies cost $ 18.25, write a formula for a copy cost as a linear function of the number of copies. Then find how much it would cost to make 400 copies.
If x is the number of copies made and y is the amount charged for the copies, what is the formula for the amount.
Thanks for your help. This is a hard one.

Note that 125 copies is 25 more than 100 copies.
The difference in price is $2.25.
Taking 2.25/25 is 9c each.
This means the 100 copies cost $9.

If that is how much 100 copies cost, there is a $7 cost just for using the machine.
That makes the equation for price be y = $7 + $0.09x where x is the number of units.
Using this to check, for x= 100, we get y = $7 + $9 = $16 and
for x = 125, we get y = $7 + $11.25 = $18.25.

If x = 400, we get y = $7 + $36 = $43.  

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.