Algebra/Factoring polynomials

So the problem is x^2+2x+xy+2y and i know how to factor using the box method using 3 terms but i dont know how to do that with four

I'm not sure if this is the box method, but I would note that the 1st two terms both have an x that could be factored out.  This gives x(x+2).  The last two terms both have a y that can be factored out.  This gives y(x+2).  Note that both have the factor (x+2).  One has x as the other term and the other has y.  This makes it (x+y)(x+2).

Scott A Wilson

Any algebraic question you've got. That includes question that are linear, quadratic, exponential, etc.

I have solved story problems, linear equations, parabolic equations. I have also solved some 3rd order equations and equations with multiple variables.

Documents at Boeing in assistance on the manufacturiing floor.

MS at math OSU in mathematics at OSU, 1986. BS at OSU in mathematical sciences (math, statistics, computer science), 1984.

Both my BS and MS degrees were given with honors.

Students in a wide variety of areas since the 80's; over 1,000 of them have been in algebra.