Algebra/Algebra

Question
Julia went to the movies and bought one jumbo popcorn and 2 chocolate chip cookies for $5.00. Marvin went to the same movie and bought one jumbo popcorn and 4 chocolate chip cookies for $6.00. How much is one chocolate chip cookie?

Answer
Since both Julia and Marvin bought one jumbo popcorm, this means the dollar difference in the amount they paid is due to the difference of 2 cookies.  Dividing by the means the cookies were 50c each.  Since Julia bought 2 cookies, that acounts for $1.  This means the jumbo popcorn is $4.

Using this for Marvin to check the  answer, it would be $4 + 4(50c) = $4 + $2 = $6,
and that was what was given, hence the answer was correct.

Algebra

Scott A Wilson