In 1940 a motorcycle was used to measure the speed of a fastball.  The motorcycle had a 10 foot headstart and passed the pitcher at 86 mph as the windup was started.  The ball won by 3 feet.  Calculate speed of the ball.  Thanks for your assistance.

I assume the ball and motorcycle are both traveling to home plate , which is 60.5 feet away from the pitcher.

86 mph = 126.133 ft per sec

Let t be the number of seconds it takes the ball to travel the 60.5 feet .

In t seconds , the motorcycle has traveled 60.5 - 10 - 3 feet , because it had a 10 foot head start and was 3 feet away from home plate when the ball got to home plate

So , in t seconds , the motorcycle travels 47.5 feet.

t = 47.5 / 126.133  = .3766 seconds

The ball travels 60.5 feet in .3766 seconds

The ball speed is thus

60.5 / .3766  = 160 .648 feet per second

In miles per hour , the ball speed is

109.533 mph  

Any questions on High School Algebra, College Algebra, Abstract Algebra. I can help with word problems, solving equations, trigonometry, inequalities, Gaussian Elimination, Linear Algebra, groups, fields, you name it!

Ph.D. in Mathematics, specialist in Algebra. I have taught High School students and college students at three state universities.

Mathematical Association of America. American Mathematical Society.

Regular contributions to the problems section of the American Mathematical Monthly journal.

B.S., M.S., Ph.D.