Algebra/Recursive Sequence

You complain that your hotel room is too cold. The hotel tells you that they will increase the temperature by 8% each hour. If the current temperature of the room is 72 degrees F, what will the temperature be after 4 hours, to the nearest tenth of a degree?

Is this sequence geometric or arithmetic?

Write a recursive formula for the sequence.

Let t(n) be the temperature in the room after n hours.

The room starts at 72 , so

t(0) = 72

After 1 hour, the temperature increases by 8%

t(1) = (1.08)(72) = 77.76

After 2 hours , the temperature increases by 8% again

t(2) = (1.08)(77.76) = 83.98

continue in this way , multiplying by 1.08 two more times

t(3) = (1.08)(83.98) = 90.7

t(4) = (1.08)(90.7) = 97.95

After 4 hours , the temperature will be 98 degrees , to the nearest tenth.

Since we keep finding the next temperature in the sequence by multiplying by 1.08 , the sequence is geometric.

A recursive formula for the sequence is t(n+1) = (1.08)t(n)  , n = 0,1,2....,  with t(0) = 72

This gives t(n) = (72)(1.08)^n  

Any questions on High School Algebra, College Algebra, Abstract Algebra. I can help with word problems, solving equations, trigonometry, inequalities, Gaussian Elimination, Linear Algebra, groups, fields, you name it!

Ph.D. in Mathematics, specialist in Algebra. I have taught High School students and college students at three state universities.

Mathematical Association of America. American Mathematical Society.

Regular contributions to the problems section of the American Mathematical Monthly journal.

B.S., M.S., Ph.D.