Algebra/Quadratic Word problem

Question
I find difficult to solve quadratic word problem. please sir, give me some techniques on how to solve quadratic word problem effectively. Expecially,how to figure-out the variables and translate the english to mathematics terms. For example, x-6, 2(x+12)...

Answer
The term x is some unknown number.
When x-6 is given, it means 6 will be subtracted from whatever value is assigned to x.
When 2(x+12) is seen, take the value of x, add 12 to is, and multiply the result by 12.

For the quadratic formula, it uses ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are some contants
that are not known yet.  The variable is x.

To find x, use the values of a, b, and c in x = (-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac))/(2a).
The +/- means "plus or minus", and it gives two results.

If we had x^2 + 3x + 2, then it can be seen that a=1, b=3, and c=2.
Using the quadratic formula gives x = (-3 +/- sqrt(3^2 - 4*2))/2.
Since 3^2 is 9 and 4*2 is 8, the value of 9-8 is 1.

This gives (-3 +/- 1)/2.  Since -3+1 is -2, and -2/2 is -1, that is one of the possibilities.

Since -3-1 is -4, and -4/2 = -2, that is the other possibility.

This makes the quadratic equation be (x+1)(x+2), and as can be seen, that's what it is.

Algebra

Scott A Wilson