Alternative Housing/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
ground source heat pump1/26/2017Daniel Humphrey
  Q: I would like to know what is the ground source heat pump. How does the technology work. What are the ...
  A: A ground source heat pump can cool or heat a building using electric compressor pumps to move a ...
attic insulation3/25/2012Daniel Humphrey
  Q: I have a 130 year old home. The roof construction is interesting. Rafters are actually 2x6 with a ...
  A: Dick, Unless you are going to convert the attic to a living space, do not insulate beneath the ...
Log Home Help4/19/2010Daniel Humphrey
  Q: we bought a 70 to 80 year full log, log home. the former owners painted the logs. Are Spring project ...
  A: The backer rod is good for saving your chinking material, since it is far less expensive than the ...
Lot drainage12/4/2009Daniel Humphrey
  Q: I had a house inspection done and the inspector noted that a drain on the outside of the house does ...
  A: Anton, The perimeter drain is to relieve water pressure from around the foundation. Most soils ...
French Doors2/10/2009Brian McElroy
  Q: I have french doors in my bedroom. My problems is that in the winter time my bedroom gets really ...
  A: You can have weather stripping redone to help with heat loss. You may also consider replacing them ...
SIPS CONSTRUCTION1/29/2009Daniel Humphrey
  Q: WILL BE HAVING A HOUSE BUILT IN THE CATSKILL MOUNTAINS IN NEW YORK. HAVE NOT DONE THE PLANS YET. ...
  A: Sean, SIPs make great houses. If you have a builder experienced with SIPs, you can get an airtight ...
alternative housing11/23/2008Brian McElroy
  Q: What about underground and/or used containers ANSWER: I am sorry. I do not understand the question? ...
  A: Florida codes do not address alternative materials. What you have to do, and I think it is ...
Solar Hot Water system for Heat7/1/2008Brian McElroy
  Q: I can get my hands on some used solar thermal (hot water) panels and was curious about using them ...
  A: I think it is a great idea. The problem will be to find someone that can install the system and ...
attic insulation3/12/2008Brian McElroy
  Q: I want to increase the insulation in my attic and have looked at a tri-laminated aluminum mylar ...
  A: I know nothing about it. I have never used it but in Florida, we are somewhat limited. If you want ...
wood stove to slab heating12/26/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: I saw a house built in the early '80s that heated water in black pipe on a wood burning stove and ...
  A: You would need a recirculating pump and maybe an expansion tank as well. I do similar now for my ...
new tech low cost hosinig12/9/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: .. I want to ask about any technology to build low cost house
  A: Right now, honestly, there is no such thing as low cost housing in my humble opinion. Regulation ...
Dome Home Finance8/2/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: I'm a realtor who recently took a listing on a Geodesic Dome House. I was wondering if you know of ...
  A: I have been asked this question 3 times in the last 2 weeks. Unless you can get an appraiser to ...
Cheap barn-style house7/6/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: Is it feasible to build a barn style two story house cheaply? I want to find a builder/architect to ...
  A: I can only speak for homes in Florida. Generally, 2 stories are about 30% more expensive than single ...
dome financing follow up7/2/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: Brian, My wife and I are looking at an existing geodesic dome in Hillsborough, NC. It's 2200 sf ...
  A: I spoke with my lender friend. He said it probably would not work out because it is a 2nd home. You ...
Florida alternative housing6/14/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: I have a mobil home on property in Hernando county Florida zoned AR. I would like to have a simple ...
  A: I build in parts of Hernando. I build a specialized energy efficient hurricane resistant product. ...
attic insulation options5/20/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: we've had a botched roof job and got moisture in the attic insulation, and some leakage onto the ...
  A: First, any materials exposed to water will need to be replaced. Mold can grow in these areas, may ...
mobile house3/3/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: what's the name of the temporary houses you rent while you are in construction?
  A: There is not a name as such. Sometimes you can find furnished apartments forrent often termed ...
Alternative home financing1/13/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: Do you have people who need financing for dome homes and other "earth friendly designs"? We finance ...
  A: We do not build dome homes. But if anyone asks, I will pass the info along. I have had a couple of ...
low-e windows1/3/2007Brian McElroy
  Q: I live in the Washington DC area and am considering replacing my 40-year old single-glazed ...
  A: Sorry, I might have not been clear about the interior films. These films are actually placed inside ...
dome financing11/14/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: I have just read a question sent to you from a lady named Karen. I have the exact scenario. The ...
  A: I talked to another lender today. If the borrower has an office in the area, they might help. Look ...
Dome Houses10/18/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: My name is Karen. I am a mortgage broker in Gulfport, Ms. I have a client that is buying a dome ...
  A: I have not heard back from you... I have a couple of questions. What is the approx. value of the ...
housing option9/1/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: understood. I was thinking along the same lines. I really cannot afford much of anything, but I have ...
  A: Give me some more information and I may be able to help. Where do you live? What size home? Do you ...
alt construction8/5/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: Have you had any experiences with Papercrete? It is said to be strong like concrete but lighter in ...
  A: I read the info on their website, but I would need more information before making a decision. I do ...
Thermasave7/27/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: What is your take on Thermasave's product,stressed skin/foam core panels? I live in an older stick ...
  A: I have built homes here in Florida with a similar panel system. I loved the insulation values and ...
How do you stop the sun's heat getting through ?7/2/2006Brian McElroy
  Q: I live in a block of maisonettes but none of us have access to the attic. There is no entrance ...
  A: Because of the outside ambient temperatures, and lack of efficient construction methods used for ...
Efficiency11/11/2005Brian McElroy
  Q: Being you seem to be all about construction efficiency, have you or any other contractors you have ...
  A: Honestly, you are the first person to ever bring up that issue in all my years of building new ...
who made my home5/20/2005Lemelia Bonner
  Q: I recently moved into a modular home. How do I find out who the manufacturer was(some one told me to ...
  A: David I'm assuming this is a home that someone else had lived in before you rather than one you ...
New Technology re: Housing1/11/2005Brian McElroy
  Q: You said your are looking for an improved method of producing High Quality Housing that is ...
  A: I would be interested, however, I have heard it all and very few of these claims pan out as true. ...
Windows12/7/2004Brian McElroy
  Q: I live in Las Vegas, Nv. My house was built in 53'. My window efficeincy is terrible to say the ...
  A: I have never heard of replacing the single panes with double panes. I think the reason is because ...
modular homes10/8/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: My husband and I are considering building a modular home. We live in eastern North Carolina. We ...
  A: Patricia I know you send this request some time ago, and I must apologize. I had a family medical ...
Mortgage for dome house9/12/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: I have a dome house that I'm selling to interested tenants (current mortgage is not assumable). My ...
  A: Dulce The company that I'm most familiar with for alternative home lending (both purchase & ...
Alternative Housing8/22/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: I hope you can help me come up with some affordable housing for myself. I will list some facts for ...
  A: Bill I'll try to answer your questions as fully as I can without the benefit of a more complete ...
Modular homes8/2/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: I would like to build a 3 story modular home, not including finished basement, on a 50' X 115' plot ...
  A: JoeJoe Sorry I have to be brief, but I'm about to leave for a short vacation in a few, and wanted to ...
new home design7/29/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: I've been looking for a new house to buy, but I'm not really happy with anything I see. I looked ...
  A: Mike I'm sorry you couldn't access my website. I've temporarily taken it offline because I can't ...
General Alternative Housing7/23/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: What is the absolute cheapest way for someone without appreciable building skills or finances to end ...
  A: Dave Just a few questions for you before I respond. Are we assuming that land for this home is ...
Constructing a home from steel shipping containers6/27/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: Do you have any information or suggestions regarding converting steel shipping containers into a ...
  A: Lynn I don't have a lot of knowledge about the process of converting shipping containers to ...
grant6/6/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: We are thinking of building some type of super efficent house. My wife said someone told her that we ...
  A: George There have been grants available from time to time for energy-efficient housing. But I am ...
Techni stone3/19/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: What information can you give me for a Techni stone counter top? How does it hold up to heat and ...
  A: Randy Technistone can really be called a "superstone," as it has practically all of the desirable ...
Building a home2/9/2004Lemelia Bonner
  Q: Lemelia: Is it an economically feasible option to consider building a house in California, in ...
  A: Helen, I had to take a little time to research your issue. No, I don't think it's madness for a ...

Page:    1 

Alternative Housing

Daniel Humphrey

Top Expert on this page