Alternative Medicine/Best detox? Not just for drug tests...

Dear Ms. Erdrich,

I asked a colleague of yours on All Experts about the best detox product/regiment. While I am very satisfied with his response and have no reason to distrust him, I feel I should ask other experts to provide an objective opinion--since it turns out that this expert has coincidentally developed and sells a detox product. Can you please provide any feedback regarding my question and his response?  Here is the link that shows our dialogue:

Thanks very much for your time and expertise!

Hello Jarvis,
Firstly stopping and/or preventing exposure to the toxic substance/s is the top priority.

Dr Wald's advice is reasonable - the liver is your primary detoxification organ and while there are a number of ways that you can support this process, you need to choose one that works for you.  Everyone will always push their own wagon (if they have one), as people do have a vested interest in their own business.  
Identifying other toxins in the body can be done in a number of ways - Drs Data have a test for "Environmental Pollutants" as well as a couple of options for assessing the burden of heavy metals in the body.  You would need to work with a naturopath to access these.  While many people attest to other test methods, I do recommend precise laboratory evaluations of the toxins in your system, such as those offered by Drs Data (rest assured - I have no vested interest in this company!)

The simplest way to detoxify is the ancient tradition of fasting.  The key to this method is supplementing with herbal decoctions that stimulate the liver, as well as keeping the bowel functioning to clear excreted waste.  
Another method that many prefer is to go on a Raw Food cleanse - utilising a powerful blender to create smoothies using raw fruit and veggies - to these you can add herbs and other supplemental substances such as n-acteyl-cysteine if you wish.  This is a very practical and powerful way to cleanse, as it can be incorporated into your daily life after the initial "deep cleanse" has been done.

All the best

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.