Alternative Medicine/Dysfunctional uterine bleeding

Question
Michael:

Do you know of anything holistically or otherwise that can help control or heal Dysfunctional uterine bleeding?

Doctors always demand sergury and i am not goint that route.

I am 47 and have suffered with this for a couple of years.
currently on high hormone therapy.

thank you.

Answer
Hello Lisa:

Dysfunctional Uterine Bleeding (DUB) is a general term that describes the fact that you have inappropriate bleeding. From what you have said no cause has been provided to you, but you have been placed on estrogen therapy (most likely).

The thought behind the high estrogen therapy is that flooding the body with estrogen in an attempt to regulate your menstrual cycle. DUB is often associated with iron anemia due to the great amount of blood loss that can occur. Supplementing with iron based upon laboratory work, may be appropriate. If you should choose to increase your iron levels with animal products then you will likely not need extra vitamin C for iron absorption (which is in the form of heme-iron) in red meat.  If you choose to improve your iron anemia from plant sources (non-heme iron) then you should consider supplementing with vitamin C to improve the iron's absorption from dark green leafy vegetable iron sources.

DUB almost always involves either excessive or imbalanced hormone production (from any number of causes) and, AN ENHANCED SENSITIVITY of the uterine tissue causing the DUB.  Several important vitamins and herbs have been studied for "hormone balancing", but should be recommended specifically based upon lab testing.

The causes of DUB are many and can include, thyroid issues, problems with hormonal output from the pituitary gland, elevated body androgen levels (including testosterone and DHEA (dihydroepiandosterone) and other health problem.  

General nutritional support for the thyroid can be found here under the product Thyroid Resusitate at http://blooddetective.com/store/products/thyroid-resuscitate/.

Non-constipating iron support using micro-particles that increase iron absorption, therefore requiring less total oral iron supplementation, can be found in the product called Bio-Available iron found here: http://blooddetective.com/store/products/bioavailable-iron/.

Vitamin C supplementation can be found in the product called Vitamin C Synergy found here: http://blooddetective.com/store/products/vitamin-c-synergy/.

Inflammation from one type or another is commonly involved in causes of DUB. A vegetartian, organic source of a great tasting omega 3 called, Vegetarian Omega 3 Smoothie can be found here: http://blooddetective.com/store/products/vegetarian-omega-3-smoothie/

Other foods or nutritional supplements could be of help and should be based on a detailed nutritional review of your blood work and other tests.

I do hope that this information is helpful to you, Dr. Michael Wald  

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald