Alternative Medicine/Carnitine

Question
Hi Sall
Hope the rain clears up before the olympics!
Any opinion on carnitine? It is legal now here in Canada so I got some. I have noticed that it does seem to shorten exercise recovery times, and I have less soreness. My I.B.S, issues improved and apparently low carnitine levels can contribute to that. Also my focus and A.D.D. is better.
Thanks have a great summer!

Answer
Hi Bud - nice to hear from you thank you so much for your question - and thank you a lot for your hopes for good weather for the olympics!!! Not much chance of that!!! But hey the gardens and woodlands here as 'saying' bring it on!! We're lush with greenery.I'm sure you've done all your research and have the following information:
Carnitine, derived from an amino acid, is found in nearly all cells of the body. Its name is derived from the Latin carnus or flesh, as the compound was isolated from meat. Carnitine is the generic term for a number of compounds that include L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine, and propionyl-L-carnitine .

Carnitine plays a critical role in energy production. It transports long-chain fatty acids into the mitochondria so they can be oxidized ("burned") to produce energy. It also transports the toxic compounds generated out of this cellular organelle to prevent their accumulation. Given these key functions, carnitine is concentrated in tissues like skeletal and cardiac muscle that utilize fatty acids as a dietary fuel

The body makes sufficient carnitine to meet the needs of most people. For genetic or medical reasons, some individuals (such as preterm infants), cannot make enough, so for them carnitine is a conditionally essential nutrient .

Healthy children and adults do not need to consume carnitine from food or supplements, as the liver and kidneys produce sufficient amounts from the amino acids lysine and methionine to meet daily needs. The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) of the National Academy of Sciences reviewed studies on the functions of carnitine in 1989 and concluded it was not an essential nutrient [3]. The FNB has not established Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)—including a recommended dietary allowance (RDA)—for carnitine .
What foods provide carnitine?
Animal products like meat, fish, poultry, and milk are the best sources. In general, the redder the meat, the higher its carnitine content. Dairy products contain carnitine primarily in the whey fractionHealthy children and adults do not need to consume carnitine from food or supplements, as the liver and kidneys produce sufficient amounts from the amino acids lysine and methionine to meet daily needs. The Food and Nutrition Board (FNB) of the National Academy of Sciences reviewed studies on the functions of carnitine in 1989 and concluded it was not an essential nutrient. The FNB has not established Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs)—including a recommended dietary allowance (RDA)—for carnitine.
Clearly it works to help you. And I''m very glad of that. My WORK is psycho-somatic medicine. So in terms of your IBS & ADD I would be Working from your psychological and emotional self to bring about CURE rather than working with a 'suppliment' Please do ask me more questions I will be delighted to hear from you and delighted to help. Thinking of you warmly Have a look at my websites www.rapha-hypnosis.com & www.sally-stubbs.com... Enjoy Canada.... Sally :)  

Alternative Medicine

Sally Stubbs