Alternative Medicine/thyroid nodule

Question
I have a 13 year old daughter swelling appeared on neck. Doctor ordered CBC with differential (normal), TSH and free T4 (both within normal range). Ultrasound said nodule contains psammomatous calcifications. Ultrasound fine needle guided biopsy should be considered.  I do not want her cut on. If there is cancer then a biopsy could spread the cancer.Are there other tests that could be done? What ways are there to reduce the size of the throid? All traditional medicine takes out the thyroid. I don't want any of this. I need some ideas of what to do next. I am currently researching iodine as treatment. I've got to get her to a doctor but I don't know what kind right now to get the best treatment.

Answer
Dear Sarah:
Of course you do not want you or your daughter going through this health issue, but on some level you should accept this and manage your stress. It will not help you or your daughter to "fight" the facts of what is happening. So what are these facts? As you have explained here it seems that calcifications are present. Calcifications within the thyroid are usually benign. A biopsy should be performed to make sure that this is the case. Then, if it is determined that the calcifications are not associated with a cancerous process, then you can choose among the traditional or natural treatments available. To just begin iodine treatments could not only be harmful, but delay your daughters treatments if more should be going on here. Also, when you consider natural treatments they must be chosen based on the problem also; here, throwing iodine at the thyroid simply does not make sense. I am fully aware of all of the positive press around iodine supplementation, but it is too non-specific here and can also cause harm. I have had several patients develop serious thyroid problems from it and others that have been helped (with certain types of health conditions and who needed the iodine).

Questions?
Dr. Wald

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald