Alternative Medicine/Essential Oils for skin care

Hi Sharon

I recently got some lavender and tea tree oil (neither are diluted) to help heal up acne and wounds elsewhere on my skin. Could I mix a drop of each with a moisturizer and use 1-2 times a day on my face/skin? Or do I have to dilute them with another oil for safe use? If the latter is true, which oils do you recommend using?

Thanks for your assistance!

Hi Kristin
You are certainly on the right track - adding those to your moisturizer is a fine thing to do.  The Tea Tree will help with the bacteria and the lavender will help with bacteria, healing and reducing scar tissue.

The rule of thumb is that the oils you add should not take up more than 3-5% of the mix.  For your face I'd suggest starting off at 1-2% and if that's OK for your skin after a few days of use, adding a bit more.  So if your moisturizer is in a 50g (~2oz)pot, add 10 drops total.

Do ensure that your essential oils are a good quality - the lavender should be Lavendula angustifolia, and the best Tea Tree oil comes from New Zealand.

If you wanted to use an oil, I'd recommend unrefined (cold pressed) Rosehip oil - it also helps reduce the appearance of scars.

All the best

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.