Alternative Medicine/vitamin poisoning

Question
I'm considering taking Biotin supplements to aid my hair growth. I have heard that Biotin is mostly nontoxic and can be taken in large amounts but I was wondering if there are threshold dosages? There are several vitamin supplement brands that offer "High Potency" tablets of 10mg. I'd like to maximize my chances of hair growing back, but at the same time, I wonder if it is safe to take such high amounts, even if I cut the pill and took halves in the morning and night? Would they even be allowed to sell 10mg tablets if it wasn't safe?

Answer
Director of Nutrition
Director of Nutrition  
Hello Alison:

I am sorry to tell you this, but I am very sure that biotin will not help your hair loss. I am well aware of all of the information on the internet and in books that claim that biotin will help hair loss in both men and women, but it will almost certainly NOT work. First, let me address some of what you have said here. First, "they" could sell supplements in the stores that could be unsafe. It is entirely up to the consumer, and their health care provider, to avoid toxic potentials.  Having said this biotin is a water-soluble vitamin that rarely causes side effects; most of these are transient and are not ultimately harmful.  Take biotin with food and along with a multivitamin (that will contain some biotin also).

Take a multivitamin (with iron ONLY) if you are iron anemic
Increase your protein
Consider taking essential fatty acids of the omega 3 family
Have lab tests performed that include: thyroid hormones, thyroid antibodies including thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin antibodies.
Mercury, cadmium, copper, lead blood and/or urine tests
Consider bio-identical hormones are a major cause of hair loss, particularly in women
Consider low stomach acid (hypochlorhydria)
Test for anemias including: protein anemia, B6, B12 and folic acid anemia
Consider gluten intolerance and have your doctor run a "celiac panel"
Depending upon your health history consider a diagnostic workup for autoimmune disease(s)

In short, hair loss is ALWAYS a symptom of another health problem(s) and not the cause of itself.

I hope that this information is helpful.

Dr. Michael Wald, Blood Detective (www.blooddetective.com)

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald