Alternative Medicine/Two year old with recurrent resp infect

Question
Good afternoon.  First let me say that I am a pretty natural person and don't like to use antibiotics, etc.  My two year old son was hospitalized for pneumonia in Jan caused by RSV.  He had breathing treatments, steroids,etc.  It was very scary because his oxygen was low.  Now, 3 months later, we are going through the same thing only not severe enough to be hospitalized.  They want him to start taking Claritin and Singulair.  Is there a more natural alternative to these medications?

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

Answer
Dr. Michael Wald, The Blood Detective
Dr. Michael Wald, The  
Hello Lisa:
I am sorry to hear about what your family and son are going through. This is a complicated issue and haphazard nutritional efforts would either be useless or even harmful. If you want to pursue this seriously you should consult with a local clinical nutritionist with experience with RSV.  Having said this consider the following:

- omega 3 fatty acids: they have been shown to help RSV by reducing the production in the lungs of inflammatory mediators known as cytokines and leukotrienes. Reduction of these compounds is associated with better outcome during attacks and perhaps reduced future attacks.

- vitamin D3: vitamin D is known to be an antiinflammatory and immune-modulating pro-hormone; often deficient in children. Low or low normal levels of D3 upon blood testing may be associated with a worse course of RSV and increased morbidity and mortality.

- clean up the diet: consider the elimination of refined and processed foods, simple sugars (fruits are allowed), food preservatives. Eating organic is best.

- check the CRP-high specificity test: it may predict RSV outcome and can be lowered with a variety of antioxidants.

-eliminate any known food allergens from the the diet.

Please see at: www.blooddetective.com the following:
- Vitamin D liquid and D5000
- Vegetarian Omega 3 Smoothie
- Reds Protect (powered antioxidant drink)
- Krill OIl

I hope that this helps.

Dr. Michael Wald
Blood Detective

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald