Alternative Medicine/Essential oils

Question
Hi I have a couple of questions about aromatherapy . I been burning essential oils recently . Can u benefit from all if their uses by just inhaling them. The second would be if there are any oils that will specifically increase or decrease hormone levels...whether they are thyroid or female hormones.The reason I ask is because I'm reading that there are certain oils that will stimulate thyroud function....and I'm not sure if it means that they will improve your overall function ? Hope that makes sense....I have a  family history of hyperthyroidism ...I don't have it and just want to make sure I wldnt bring it on by breathing in some of the oils .   Thank you

Answer
Hi Linda,

Thank you for submitting your aromatherapy question. At my school, the American College of Healthcare Sciences, we focus on holistic aromatology, the restoration of physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health through the use of essential oils, which includes topical application and inhalation. So, the short answer is yes: you can benefit from the use of aromatherapy essential oils just by inhaling them. Since about 21-cups of blood can be regenerated in the lung tissues per minute, absorption of essential oils through the respiratory system is a very effective means of revitalizing, oxygenating, and detoxifying.

There are several effective methods for inhalation, so you may want to experiment and see what works best for you. Three of the most common methods include:

1. Nasal sprays. Essential oils are absorbed into the bloodstream through the nasal mucous membranes; try a micro-fine mister or aerosol, or add essential oils to vaporizers), steam inhalation.

2.Steam inhalation. Add the essential oil to a bowl of boiling water and inhale the steam. In general, add approximately 6-drops of oil to a medium-size bowl of boiling water (adjust depending on the oil) and inhale for 5-10 minutes.

3. Aerosol air dispersion or diffuser. This method disperse the essential oil constituents evenly into the air as a fine mist.

Regarding your concerns about hyperthyroidism, I am unaware of any research that inhaling essential oils would cause hyperthyroidism. I would suggest, however, using essential oils in moderation: for example, twice a week in a therapeutic dose. I would also recommend consulting with a Registered Aromatherapist (RA), who can work with you on a more personal level and make recommendations specific to your needs and goals. The Aromatherapy Registration Council maintains a registry of Registered Aromatherapists by state here: http://www.ptcny.net/clients/ARC/RA/Public/Search.aspx

I hope this information helps, Linda. If I can provide any further assistance, please let me know.

Warm regards,
Dorene Petersen
President and Founder, American College of Healthcare Sciences
www.achs.edu

Alternative Medicine

Dorene Petersen