Alternative Medicine/Hands tingle and draw up?

Question
I'm 43, married, two kids, football coach and high school teacher.  Throughout the years after a workout, my hands, arms, sometimes legs will begin tingling and will get so bad my hands will begin to draw up to where I can't hold anything.  It almost looks like a stoke but my heart is fine..it might be beating real fast, but is fine. Today I lifted heavy, last set for my arms I was driving home and ten min. Into my trip my hands started tingling and drawing up. I made it to the emergency room parking lot but was calmed down and went to the store, bought groceries and all is well.  I do suffer from anxiety. I take medication as needed.  What causes the limbs to tingle and draw up? On occasions I've had to call 911.  By the time they get to me the drawing up and  tingling is subsiding.  They check sugar, there aren't any heart pains, my heart checks out fine.  Have you ever heard of such?  I feel like when I work out really good and I get a good pump...every now and then, the pump begins to tingle and I get a little nervous. Oh...when it subsides, my hands shake pretty bad for a bit.  Years ago, I would feel like I was going to pass out. I'm extremely grateful for your help.  

I take very limited medication.  Alprazolam 0.5 mg per tablet. I took 1/2 of that during the day and only one at night.  For the past several weeks I only take one at night.  Here is alittle more insight about me and THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICE: This past December I resigned from my baseball job(I built a great program here)I have no regrets by the way.. to be with my oldest daughter who is a top national volleyball player and we travel alot on the weekends during what would be my baseball season.Two months later in Feb. my father passed away and a month later I recieved information that I did not get a head football coaching job at my school I applied for.I still work here, and am on staff and the hired coach is fine.  But those factors have happened in just a few months back to back. I was having major anxiety in Jan. and Feb.  March, I actually started taking medication(Alprazolam .5mg per tablet) 1/2 during the day and 1 at night.  I have stopped taking it during the day.  Spring Practice has been going on(It does feel wierd working with a man that has my job)and I'm still lifting weights(I've done that all my life), cardio but I've cut back on my eating trying to lose about 8lbs. and I thought things were going fine.Just the past few days the only symptoms are my hands tingling drawing up.  It happened on the way home yesterday as well.I got home, took medicine and it calmed down.My wife thinks mind and diet(Yesterday before I got home at 7 I had a bowl of oatmeal, a protein shake and two bananas)(I'm 5'6" and 152 lbs) Is that not enough to do all I do during the day? Cardio in morning, teach 4 class periods go straight to the gym during lunch and workout, teach two more, practice football for two hours and then go home or to my daughter's volleyball practice, church, etc. and then eat dinner. And why does it hit me after wieghts or in the car? It has hit me barely on occasion on non-workout days that were stressful. Oh I catch myself breathing short breaths through my chest. Could that lead to hyperventilation later during the day if stressed?  Thanks for your understanding." Happened yesterday and the doctor said that I may be overtraining and compressing a nerve. I always happens in both arms. However, when they took my blood pressure, it was perfect but my right hand was wanting to tingle and fingers draw up...it was the same feeling I get after weights lately. Thanks for your time and patience.  Toby

Answer
Hello Toby:
It is clear to me that you are experiencing some of the physical effects of hyperventilation. During hyperventilation over breathing results. The
overbreathing is the state of breathing faster or deeper than normal (hyperpnoea) causing excessive expulsion of circulating carbon dioxide.  It can result from a psychological state such as a panic attack or can be brought about by lifestyle risk factors or voluntarily as in the yogic practice of Bhastrika. It often occurs together with labored breathing, which, in contrast, can also be a response to increased carbon dioxide levels. COPD, Asthma and multiple panic disorders.  Hyperventilation can sometimes cause symptoms such as numbness or tingling in the hands, feet and lips, lightheadedness, dizziness, headache, chest pain, flexor spasm of hands and feet (carpopedal spasm),[3] slurred speech, nervous laughter, and sometimes fainting.  Being mindful of this potential reaction can help you be mindful of your stress response and attempt to control your breathing.  Hope that this helps, Dr. Wald, The Blood Detective

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald