Alternative Medicine/meat essential for building tissue?

Question
I am mostly vegetarian, except for eggs, milk, cheese, butter. i was told that this may not be enough for healthy tissue. is meat essential?  I am a 60 year-old man.
Thanks,
G

Answer
Hello Greg:
Regarding your concerns of being a vegetarian and healthy tissue here is my response.

By definition you are a vegetarian, but you consume many animal products so deficiency in protein is probably not an issue. A clinical nutritionist could easily figure out for you whether or not your caloric intake of all nutrition, not just protein, is adequate.  Besides a body composition test telling you your metabolic rate (now you burn calories) and your body percentage of muscle, water and fat, it will give the nutritionist excellent guidance so that accurate dietary advice can be provided to you. Certain types of laboratory work will fill in other missing information regarding the soundness of the rest of your diet.  Lab work to consider includes, but is not necessarily limited to, the following:

complete blood count (contains red blood cell count)
chemistry (contains total protein levels and iron)
serum vitamin B12 levels
serum folic acid levels
homocysteine levels

This should do it. Remember, "you are NOT what you eat", but what you absorb from what you eat!  Testing, questionnaire and a carefully directed conversation with a nutritionist can solve your concerns.

I hope that this helps,
Dr. Michael Wald, The Blood Detective  

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald