Alternative Medicine/olives for leg cramps

Hi Dr Wald,
A family member has been recommended an olive a day including the pit to prevent or cure leg cramps (along with water and magnesium).
Can this possibly be beneficial and not harmful?

Hello Greg:
I do not think that olive oil will particularly help with this problem...but you never know. People can respond to practically anything. There are no studies on this, but there are using magnesium for leg cramps. Leg cramps can be of vascular, neurological and from other causes.  If one does not treat the cause of the leg cramps then treatments, even magnesium, may not help at all as you might imagine.  If increasing fruits and vegetables and taking a multivitamin and mineral complex does not help consider looking deeper into the cause. Olive oil will not hurt and is very healthy overall.  

Consider using dehydrated fruit and vegetable products Green Detox, Reds Protect and Longevity Complete and Chelated Magnesium found at:

Also, chronic leg cramps may be a sign of iron deficiency anemia.

Hope this helps,
Dr. Michael Wald, The Blood Detective

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald

I can provide answers to questions on: - Any area of health and disease treatment and prevention ranging from allergies, to immunity, weight loss, to diabetes, cancer and longevity. - I can provide scientific resources in all areas of health and science. - I can provide specific dietary advice and answer questions regarding the use and/or validity of nutritional supplements - I can discuss medical and laboratory (testing) technologies for early diagnosis. I am nicknamed the, Blood Detective based on knowledge and reputation to find health problems missed by other doctors.

My background allows me to provide answers to health questions in virtually all areas from disease prevention to treatments. I provide science and have many patients who would willingly lend themselves for interviews. I have an active holistic/alternative medicine clinic in Westchester, New York. We provide dietary advice, recommend nutritional supplements and provide intravenous nutrition (i.e, intravenous vitamin C, etc.) and advanced testing in our impressive office. I have appeared on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer, Fox 5 News, CNN, The Food Network and local news programs. I can provide accurate information to you quickly and provide scientific support on all materials. I have written several books the latest on Longevity that will be published in 2013.

The International & American Association of Clinical Nutritionists The American Holistic Medical Association

I write a regular, bi-monthly column for the Examiner Newspaper in Westchester New York. I write a regular, weekly column in the Health Care Magazine - in the Baby Bombers insert. My blog and Facebook and website ( and - I have been published in many online books and websites. Books that can be viewed under the About Us section at (Publications section).

I have an MD degree (MD) A chiropractic degree (DC) Two board-certifications in nutrition (DACBNs) I am a dietician-nutritionist (CDN) A certified nutritional specialist (CNS) A certified clinical nutritionist (CCN)

I have been in active clinical practice since 1991. During this time I have treated a wide-range of health issues including but not limited to: - health prevention and longevity (people who are well, but want to live long and disease-free lives) - immune diseases including: diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroid disease, intestinal issues, hormonal issues, etc. - My patients would be happy to be interviewed to support any story, written or televised.