Alternative Medicine/Skin rash

Hello Eric,
I have been diagnosed with follectilitis {skin rash infection}.
Dotor prescribed a topical anti bacterial ointment. Went through a whole tube with minimal results. Now she wants to prescribe Bactrim DS pills. Frankly the side effects are nasty as described by actual users on the Web MD site and Plus I have ulcerative colitis and antibiotics can irritate the stomach.

Please offer some alternative treatments I can try. I have been using over the counter bacterial soap, neo soporing ointment to prevent infection and 100% aloe vera gel with occasional anti itch lotion.

Any help would be "appreciated",

Hi Ron,
I think you mean you have folliculitis. This can be either bacterial or fungal. The physician can often distinguish fungal fromm bacterial by just looking at the site.  If not sure, then a swab of thec site sent to the lab can determine what the oraganism is and the best treatment for it. Bactrim DS is not an antibiotic I would worry about if you have ulcerative colitis. Clindamycin is an antibiotic to avaoid in your case as it can aggrevate colitis. If taking an antibiotic I always recommend also taking a pro biotic which replaces the good bacteria the anti biotic may affect. Alternately, you can take yogurt with live culture to prevent the gastric adverse effects of the antibiotic.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Alternative Medicine

Eric Brandt

I will answer questions regarding prescripion and non prescription drugs as well as commonly used mdicinal herbs. I will also answer questions on various medical conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, thyroid problems, diabets, menopause, parkinson`s disease, multiple sclerosis, depression etc.

I am a practicing hospital pharmacist with 10 years experience in hospital and 10 years retail pharmacy experience prior to that.
I have my own drug information web site at I also publish an online newsletter. Subscription is free. To learn more go to

Contributed to an article in CNS Drugs. Currently publishing a free monthly nwletter. To learn more go to

B.Sc. Pharm