Alternative Medicine/osteoporosis, and osteopenia

Question
I have been recently diagnose with osteoporosis in the spine (borderline) and osteopenia in the hip.  I was diagnosed with a fracture in my sacrum and the osteoporosis at the same time.  I am 71.  I am taking calicum and Vitamin D3.  And eventually the meds prescribed for that disease. I need dental work before that.  I am wondering what you think about Vitamin K2, and Stronium?  I hear so many different things.

Thank You,
Judy

Answer
Hello Judy
That's a bit of a shock to find your bones have become so weak and brittle.  It's often an unusual fracture that leads to the diagnosis.
Bones are not simply calcium and the usual prescribed calcium is calcium carbonate, which is a poorly absorbed form, especially as we age. Calcium that is bound to natural organic acids (such as citric acid and malic acid - eg as calcium citrate-malate) is relatively well absorbed.
I suggest you get a comprehensive bone-building supplement which should have magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin K and boron as well as calcium.  You need about 1000-2000IU of vitamin D3 daily (which is preferable to higher doses once a month).
There isn't much scientific information about the safety or effectiveness of strontium chloride (the most common form in supplements).  Strontium ranelate (which might also be in some supplements) can increase bone formation, but little is know about side effects.  In some areas the ground water is naturally high in strontium.
I suggest you get a hair-mineral test done (Doctors Data is a US lab that offers this) to find out what you do and don't need in the way of minerals.

All the best,
Sharon

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich