Alternative Medicine/Alternative to prescription meds

Question
Hi, I'm hoping you can help me with some suggestions or advice. I'm on several prescription medications, but seeking both a more natural approach and most of all something I can obtain and handle myself without a doctor being necessary.

I'm wanting to move to a very rural area (100 mile trip to the nearest grocery store), and of course there are very few doctors in this area, especially specialists. I'm also just sick of having doctor's appointments/drug refills interfere with living my life and planning vacations and out of town trips. This is mainly a problem with the morphine I'm on due to chronic severe back pain following spinal fusion surgery in 2007.

Just in the past 4-5 years I've gone from seeing my doctor every 3 months, to every 2 months, and now since July it's monthly. (Same doctor, just stricter regulations being put in place here in Florida). This is too limiting to me when I can only be given a 30 day script and must have an appointment again before I can be given another script. So any out of state trips must be planned around a monthly appointment and being here on the 30th day to actually fill the script itself.

I've tried acupuncture, physical therapy, electrical stimulation (TENS), and other things, but none of these gave me any noticeable pain relief. I'm taking 60mg morphine ER every 8 hours and 30mg morphine IR several times daily for breakthrough pain. Overall I'm satisfied with my pain relief, but I'm sick of being completely dependent upon the doctor/pharmacy to treat my pain.

I'm also on Synthroid and Wellbutrin for hypothyroidism and depression. I'd love to find something to replace these prescription meds with that I could have control over myself without being so reliant on the medical system. I also hate the dependency issues with the morphine.

To be honest I see our nation heading for an economic collapse or other scenario, and worry about no longer having access to the health care system and I want to find something I can either grow myself for medicinal use or possibly a vitamin or mineral supplement that I can lay in a supply of now without needing a script.

Thanks for your help.

Answer
HI Bethany,
The prescription medications you are taking are very potent. I do not know of any non prescription alternatives as potent as the prescription ones for the conditions you describe.  Not continuing with them would be detrimental to your health.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Sinerely,
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Alternative Medicine

Eric Brandt