Alternative Medicine/Maca color for PMS/PMDD

I have severe PMS (Premenstrual Disphoric Disorder) and want to try Maca to help with the symptoms I endure every month...
I've read that different color Maca roots provide different healing qualities...I'm wondering which colour would be best for hormone balancing and mood elevation and PMS in general?
Thankyou very much for your help...

Hello Joanna:

Here is my response to your question of how and what to consider nutritionally for PDD or Premenstrual Dysmorphic Disorder.  Maca may help, but there are several other natural compounds that make even more sense than Maca. An enzyme known as catecol-o--methyltransferase has been shown to be somewhat dysfunctional in sufferers of PDD. This enzyme is folic acid dependent. A special form of folic acid known as L-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid is the best form and should be taken as 1-2 mg (milligrams, not micrograms) per day.  Omega 3 fats in the form of krill oil (and in a triglyceride form) is best absorbed. Magnesium in the form of a chelate is best for most people at a dose of 100-200 mg per day.

Problems with serotonin and or serotonin uptake at receptor sites is also an issue. Nutrients to help with this include the active folate described above, methylated B12 (1000 mcg per day), active vitamin B6 (in the pyridoxyl-5-phosphate form), melatonin (3-9 mg per day taken only at night 1 hr or less before bed), active tryptophane and a multivitamin.  The rest of the nutrition best for PDD should be determined on the specific nutritional and other laboratory (blood) abnormalities found upon detailed blood testing. Unfortunately, most mainstream doctors are completely oblivious to these and other nutritional approaches to PDD or how or which tests to run on blood testing. Cleaning up the diet by eliminating saturated and trans fats, refined and processed carbohydrates, eating organically when possible, exercising regularly, eliminating red meats or eating just free-range, organically fed meat, eating free-range fish rich in omega 3 fatty acids, not drinking alcohol and drinking lots of water (until the urine is just a little yellow) are the best overall strategies.

These nutrients can be purchased at:

I hope that this helps,
Dr. Michael Wald, DC, MD, DACBN, CDN
Blood Detective

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald

I can provide answers to questions on: - Any area of health and disease treatment and prevention ranging from allergies, to immunity, weight loss, to diabetes, cancer and longevity. - I can provide scientific resources in all areas of health and science. - I can provide specific dietary advice and answer questions regarding the use and/or validity of nutritional supplements - I can discuss medical and laboratory (testing) technologies for early diagnosis. I am nicknamed the, Blood Detective based on knowledge and reputation to find health problems missed by other doctors.

My background allows me to provide answers to health questions in virtually all areas from disease prevention to treatments. I provide science and have many patients who would willingly lend themselves for interviews. I have an active holistic/alternative medicine clinic in Westchester, New York. We provide dietary advice, recommend nutritional supplements and provide intravenous nutrition (i.e, intravenous vitamin C, etc.) and advanced testing in our impressive office. I have appeared on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer, Fox 5 News, CNN, The Food Network and local news programs. I can provide accurate information to you quickly and provide scientific support on all materials. I have written several books the latest on Longevity that will be published in 2013.

The International & American Association of Clinical Nutritionists The American Holistic Medical Association

I write a regular, bi-monthly column for the Examiner Newspaper in Westchester New York. I write a regular, weekly column in the Health Care Magazine - in the Baby Bombers insert. My blog and Facebook and website ( and - I have been published in many online books and websites. Books that can be viewed under the About Us section at (Publications section).

I have an MD degree (MD) A chiropractic degree (DC) Two board-certifications in nutrition (DACBNs) I am a dietician-nutritionist (CDN) A certified nutritional specialist (CNS) A certified clinical nutritionist (CCN)

I have been in active clinical practice since 1991. During this time I have treated a wide-range of health issues including but not limited to: - health prevention and longevity (people who are well, but want to live long and disease-free lives) - immune diseases including: diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroid disease, intestinal issues, hormonal issues, etc. - My patients would be happy to be interviewed to support any story, written or televised.