Alternative Medicine/flu question

Hello there. My mother has the flu and now I have it, and none of the over-the-counter medicines (Tylenol, Advil, NyQuil) seem to be giving any relief at all? Could you recommend anything at all, like any over-the-counter medicine I did not mention, home remedies, or herbal remedies? Thank you.

Hello Miss Wilson
I am sure you feel quite desperate - the flu can be quite tough and seem hard to get rid of. But taking drugs like Tylenol will not help you get better - in fact, while such drugs might help you to feel better, they actually give the virus the upper hand.  In such cases it is very common for the illness to last longer and even end up with a complication such as a chest infection.
I recommend very high doses of vitamin C - up to 20 g per day of the water-soluble type (if your bowels get loose you have reached your "limit") or 5-6 g per day of the lypospheric kind.
In addition you can support your immune system by taking echinacea, elderflower/elderberry and zinc.
Chicken broth, and lots of fresh (or frozen) fruit (such as blueberries) and vegetables as much as possible will also help.
All the best.
Kind regards

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.