Alternative Medicine/Hashimoto

I have Hashimoto disease. I currently take 125 mcg Levothyroxin.  Is there a better alternative?

Hi Victoria,
The short answer in no. Levothyroxine is the least expensive and moost effective medication to treat an under active thyroid. Levothyroxine is converted in the body to the active form triiodothyronine. There is a small subset of people who do not convert to the active form as efficiently and these people need to take the more expensive active form sold under the brand name Cytomel.
Thank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Alternative Medicine

Eric Brandt

I will answer questions regarding prescripion and non prescription drugs as well as commonly used mdicinal herbs. I will also answer questions on various medical conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, thyroid problems, diabets, menopause, parkinson`s disease, multiple sclerosis, depression etc.

I am a practicing hospital pharmacist with 10 years experience in hospital and 10 years retail pharmacy experience prior to that.
I have my own drug information web site at I also publish an online newsletter. Subscription is free. To learn more go to

Contributed to an article in CNS Drugs. Currently publishing a free monthly nwletter. To learn more go to

B.Sc. Pharm