Alternative Medicine/sleeping aids

I take sleeping pills and would like to get off it.the internet is fullof these scams that charge  you 59$a bottle for natural sleep aids and they all contain melatonin which diabetes cant take.i take blood thinners and a lot of thses natural sleep aids react with blood thinners.i have diabetes and take blood thinners and have hypertension.any hemopathic sleep aids that wont interfere with my meds for diabetes,hypertension and blood thinners.tried calms forte worthless

Hi Howard.
You have highlighted one of the issues associated with the internet.  People can sell what they want, say what they want, and those trying to find answers to their challenges are not always in a position to make appropriate judgement about the likelihood (or otherwise) of some of them.  Its great that you are aware of the possibility of adverse interactions with your medication.
Because you are taking a number of medications the matter of sleep aids needs to be viewed very carefully.  There are a number of factors that could be considered, such as:
- Sleep hygiene
- Timing of your current medication
- Your cortisol regulatory system
- Mineral balance in your body
- Your breathing patterns
and more..  

So you can see, it's not a simple answer.  These points all need to be evaluated by a properly trained professional.  Are you able to see a naturopathic doctor or qualified herbalist to get some help?

Kind regards

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.