Alternative Medicine/5-htp

Hello, I would like to get your advise on the following:

I have been going through a difficult time in my life, and my psychiatrist suggested Zoloft.

Doing some research, I found out about 5htp. and would like to give that a try, before taking antidepressants.

There seem to be different opinions on how it should be taken: some advise acompanied it with vitamin b6, other with carbidopa, and a third opinion is it should be acompanied by some other  aminoacid (can't remember the name) to prevent dompamine from getting to low.

My question is: what do you think is the most effective and healthy way to take it? should I also take any of this other supplements?

Thank you

Hi Ceci
Serotonin is the neurotransmitter in the brain that responsible for mood and emotions. It is constantly produced and destroyed.  There are two ways to increase the level of serotonin in the brain. One is stop destroying by pharmaceuticals (antidepressants). Second is using the serotonin precursors; natural substances, which promote manufacturing serotonin in the brain.
I do not like to give you medical advice because I do not know tour situation. If I were you, I would start from
   5-HTP 50 mg in the morning, 150 mg before sleep
   Sublingual Vitamin B-12000 mcg x2 keep in the mouth
   Magnesium citrate (750 mg magnesium daily)
   Vitamin D-3 10,000 iu daily
Meditation, acupuncture is also beneficial.
I like walking, dancing, swimming (1 hour daily), and massage.
It is safe and effective for me and my patients.

I wish you good health.
   Peter Melamed, Ph.D.
Biotherapy Clinic of San Francisco

Alternative Medicine

Peter Melamed PhD

I have MD degree and decades of the experience in holistic medicine, acupuncture, herbs, cleansing techniques’, diet and drinking healing mineral water, nutritional supplementation and hypnosis. I think, I can answer many questions in the area of non-drug treatment of various chronic diseases, especially gastrointestinal disorders. I am a holistic practitioner at Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco, California

I worked as an MD (anesthesiology, intensive care, gastroenterology, Men’s health, etc) in USSR. PhD in Western Medicine. Alternative medicine practitioner in the Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco for 20 years.

I published many articles in internet and EBook: "Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You" 550 pages and more than 300 references. References 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

In U.S Acupuncture CA license and National Certification Commission for Acupuncture. RN CA license