Alternative Medicine/supplements

What do you think of the lates supplements being touted for weight loss: raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, and african mango? Is one better than the other? My concern is my sweet tooth, so I need something to block sugar. I am overweight, always put on more weighr around holidays and special occasions when I cant avoid the sweets and the liquor. I dont have diabetes, maybe I am especially sensitive to sugar? I try to keep my swwet tooth at bay the rest of the tiome.

Dr. Michael Wald
Dr. Michael Wald  
Hello Bud:

Can Certain Supplements Help Promote Weight Loss?

Your question is one that i hear often. "Which supplements are best for weight loss?"  Well, the answer is that NO supplements are effective for weight least, not by them selves.  Raspberry ketones, green coffee bean extract, African mango and even many of the nutrients found within my product Thermogenic Factors, will not by themselves, CAUSE weight loss in a person. I also have many other products, some of those you have asked about, provided by my company Blood Logic, Inc., but I would never promote them alone for weight loss.

Sure, you will have people claim that they have experienced weight loss from various nutritional supplements, but when I speak with some of these people, and investigate their claims, I have found without exception, that they have misunderstood. There are many influences upon weight loss including, but not limited to, genetics, stress levels, type and extend or lack of exercise, pollution/toxicity, hormonal imbalances, inflammation and weight gain as a result of lean body mass from hundreds of various health problems and diseases. If a person is overweight, but is sensitive to gluten, then the supplements are just wrong!  If a person is overweight and has a blood sugar problem, they need more healthy proteins, chromium and low glycemic foods - and the supplements for "weight loss" will not work. Get the picture? I'm sure that you do. Here are some other important considerations:

Hormonal Imbalances: Deficiencies of testosterone, DHEA, thyroid hormones, hormone and/or progesterone for example can and often do slow or prevent weight loss efforts. Blood, urine and/or salivary hormone tests may all be required to get a complete handle on your hormonal problems. Keep in mind that foods and exercise affect hormone levels! However, if hormone levels are imbalanced the effects of even the most carefully planned out diet calorically and exercise plan will be blunted.

Toxicity: Many toxins are fat soluble which means that they are stored by the body in fatty tissues such as the breast tissue and the fat around organs. Weight loss efforts are often slowed or prevented when the issue of toxicity is not adequately handled. Not all detoxification programs are the same and they should not be!! Our detox plans are toxin-based which means that tests are done to identify some predominant toxins in your body and a food, exercise, supplement and lifestyle plan invented for your health, detoxification and long term weight loss needs.

Exercise: So you think you exercise enough and exactly as you should? Maybe or maybe not. Exercises should be based on your overall health and weight loss goals and not all exercises will affect you and your metabolic rate the same. If you have never heard of muscle confusion or lactic acid threshold then you are probably not exercising correctly. Also, your exercise, food and nutritional supplement plan must all be coordinated together in a way that is, "do-able", relatively enjoyable and results ultimately in the desired weight loss from fat and water weight and not from lean body tissue.

Hope that this all helps,
Dr. Michael Wald, DC, MD, CDN, DACBN, CNS, CCN
Blood Detective
Integrated Medicine of Mount Kisco
495 E. Main Street
Mount Kisco, NY 10549

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald

I can provide answers to questions on: - Any area of health and disease treatment and prevention ranging from allergies, to immunity, weight loss, to diabetes, cancer and longevity. - I can provide scientific resources in all areas of health and science. - I can provide specific dietary advice and answer questions regarding the use and/or validity of nutritional supplements - I can discuss medical and laboratory (testing) technologies for early diagnosis. I am nicknamed the, Blood Detective based on knowledge and reputation to find health problems missed by other doctors.

My background allows me to provide answers to health questions in virtually all areas from disease prevention to treatments. I provide science and have many patients who would willingly lend themselves for interviews. I have an active holistic/alternative medicine clinic in Westchester, New York. We provide dietary advice, recommend nutritional supplements and provide intravenous nutrition (i.e, intravenous vitamin C, etc.) and advanced testing in our impressive office. I have appeared on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer, Fox 5 News, CNN, The Food Network and local news programs. I can provide accurate information to you quickly and provide scientific support on all materials. I have written several books the latest on Longevity that will be published in 2013.

The International & American Association of Clinical Nutritionists The American Holistic Medical Association

I write a regular, bi-monthly column for the Examiner Newspaper in Westchester New York. I write a regular, weekly column in the Health Care Magazine - in the Baby Bombers insert. My blog and Facebook and website ( and - I have been published in many online books and websites. Books that can be viewed under the About Us section at (Publications section).

I have an MD degree (MD) A chiropractic degree (DC) Two board-certifications in nutrition (DACBNs) I am a dietician-nutritionist (CDN) A certified nutritional specialist (CNS) A certified clinical nutritionist (CCN)

I have been in active clinical practice since 1991. During this time I have treated a wide-range of health issues including but not limited to: - health prevention and longevity (people who are well, but want to live long and disease-free lives) - immune diseases including: diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroid disease, intestinal issues, hormonal issues, etc. - My patients would be happy to be interviewed to support any story, written or televised.