Alternative Medicine/Co Q10

I had a heart attack 1 yr ago, due to 100% occlusion of LAD. My current ejection fraction is 39. I'm sensitive to all meds & supplements. We have finally found the right amount of beta blocker to stabilize my blood pressure, but I constanly feel miserable and can't do much walking without shaking and mildly fibrillating. My younger brother has high blood pressure and takes co Q10. He says he feels better and highly recommends it. Like most doctors, I'm sure my cardiologist will be against taking it. What are your thoughts? Might it be the right thing to make me feel better along with a slight boost in energy? Thanks for your time.

Hi Ed,
Results of studies of Coenzyme Q10 are mixed. Some studies showed the it may help cardiac contractility in congestive heart failure and it may improve ejection fraction. It certainly does not  do any harm to the heart.  I would say you could try it but do not expect miracles.
hank you for using Allexperts.
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Alternative Medicine

Eric Brandt

I will answer questions regarding prescripion and non prescription drugs as well as commonly used mdicinal herbs. I will also answer questions on various medical conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, thyroid problems, diabets, menopause, parkinson`s disease, multiple sclerosis, depression etc.

I am a practicing hospital pharmacist with 10 years experience in hospital and 10 years retail pharmacy experience prior to that.
I have my own drug information web site at I also publish an online newsletter. Subscription is free. To learn more go to

Contributed to an article in CNS Drugs. Currently publishing a free monthly nwletter. To learn more go to

B.Sc. Pharm