Alternative Medicine/Curcumin

Dr. Wald, I am a 57 yr old male. My 81 yr old mother has Alzheimer's disease. A very high percentage of her relatives in her generation and previous generation have died from Alzheimer's. I don't like my odds; therefore, I'm looking for possible options to stave off this dreaded disease. I don't want to fall prey to snake oils, but obviously modern medicine doesn't have all the answers. I have done a bit of research into curcumin and would appreciate your opinion on it's use. Thanks for your time.

Dr. Michael Wald
Dr. Michael Wald  
Hello Ed:

Ed, I am very sorry to hear about your mother and her diagnoses of Alzheimer's disease (AD). Your question is essentially - "What is my option of the herb curcumin (Tumeric) for Alzheimer's Disease. Here is what you need to know.

Neuologists have virtually nothing to offer the Alzheimer's sufferer

Traditionally neurology, sadly, has little to offer for AD, a progressive form of dementia or memory loss. The medications used have virtually no value, but you already know this because of your own investigations. So what about curcumin for slowing the progression of this disease? Ed, you could easily find natural practitioners, even scientific studies, that show that curcumin reduces neuro-inflammation, chelates heavy metals such as aluminum (implicated as an environmental cause of Alzheimer's disease) and other potential benefits.

25 Years of Experience has taught me a few things...
I can tell you from 25 years experience in this area that you will notice no difference whatsoever using this herb. What curcumin could potential help with, along with a large number of other nutritional supplements, is slow down the progression of this condition. Having said this it is best to take what amounts to a large number of nutrients and alter the diet of a Alzheimer's sufferer as early in the course of this disease as possible. If one waits until the disease has progressed significantly little or no noticable benefit will happen.

My approach is to perform a large number of blood and other types of tests to determine the cause and or potential ways in which to slow this condition. Having said this, you must understand that diet and nutritional supplements are not recognized by mainstream medicine as an effective strategy for AD. Here are some important considerations for searching for causes and natural solutions for AD:

1. Test for heavy metals particularly aluminum - correct accordingly
2. Test for various vitamin and mineral levels- correct accordingly
3. Check hormone levels particularly estrogens, progesterone and testosterone- correct accordingly
4. Review for potential environmental toxins- correct accordingly
5. Body composition- correct accordingly
6. Consider hyperbaric oxygen therapy
7. Check for viral, bacterial, parasitic and fungal infections - correct accordingly

There are several basic supplements that I use for all of my patients with a diagnosis of AD, but I supplement on top of these with many more depending upon health history, overall health goals, extent of the condition and result of laboratory tests - among other factors.

My top pics are:
Active Folate
B12 sublingual or liquid
Brain Energy Blast
Greens Detox
Krill Oil
Longevity Complete
Reds Protect
Zinc Picolinate

All of these are my label and are available at:

Keep in mind that some drug-nutritional interactions exist that require a professional to review.

All treatments must be based on the specific findings, not general protocols found in nutrition books (they are often way off), and the health history of the person affected.

I do hope that this helps.

Dr. Michael Wald
Blood Detective

Alternative Medicine

dr. michael wald

I can provide answers to questions on: - Any area of health and disease treatment and prevention ranging from allergies, to immunity, weight loss, to diabetes, cancer and longevity. - I can provide scientific resources in all areas of health and science. - I can provide specific dietary advice and answer questions regarding the use and/or validity of nutritional supplements - I can discuss medical and laboratory (testing) technologies for early diagnosis. I am nicknamed the, Blood Detective based on knowledge and reputation to find health problems missed by other doctors.

My background allows me to provide answers to health questions in virtually all areas from disease prevention to treatments. I provide science and have many patients who would willingly lend themselves for interviews. I have an active holistic/alternative medicine clinic in Westchester, New York. We provide dietary advice, recommend nutritional supplements and provide intravenous nutrition (i.e, intravenous vitamin C, etc.) and advanced testing in our impressive office. I have appeared on ABC World News Tonight with Diane Sawyer, Fox 5 News, CNN, The Food Network and local news programs. I can provide accurate information to you quickly and provide scientific support on all materials. I have written several books the latest on Longevity that will be published in 2013.

The International & American Association of Clinical Nutritionists The American Holistic Medical Association

I write a regular, bi-monthly column for the Examiner Newspaper in Westchester New York. I write a regular, weekly column in the Health Care Magazine - in the Baby Bombers insert. My blog and Facebook and website ( and - I have been published in many online books and websites. Books that can be viewed under the About Us section at (Publications section).

I have an MD degree (MD) A chiropractic degree (DC) Two board-certifications in nutrition (DACBNs) I am a dietician-nutritionist (CDN) A certified nutritional specialist (CNS) A certified clinical nutritionist (CCN)

I have been in active clinical practice since 1991. During this time I have treated a wide-range of health issues including but not limited to: - health prevention and longevity (people who are well, but want to live long and disease-free lives) - immune diseases including: diabetes, cancer, multiple sclerosis, lupus, thyroid disease, intestinal issues, hormonal issues, etc. - My patients would be happy to be interviewed to support any story, written or televised.