Alternative Medicine/Dessicated porcine thyroid

Hi Eric
I am 56. No other health issues apart from the fact I have always suffered from a slow metabolism, inability to lose weight, I dont need much food and calories in general, and poor digestion, mostly gas and bloating.
My doctor says according to the tests my thyroid numbers are normal, and he is hesitant to subscribe medication.
Last week I started 'self medicating' with dessicated porcine thyroid.
Here is the link:

I am starting to feel better.  I am warm instead of being cold all the time, I am actually losing a little weight (combined with exercise and lower calories), I don't feel bloated, and my digestion and bowel movements are better.
My question is, do you think I am sub-clinical hypothyroid and the dessicated thyroid got me closer to normal?
I am hesitant to self medicate, but if I continue to improve, should I ask my doctor to put me on prescription dessicated thyroid, as my health plan covers it?

Thanks so much.

Hi Barry,
I suggesst you have your thyroid function rechecked onsidering you self medicated. You want to make sure you are noy hypperthyroid now. once that result is in we can plan futher.
Thank you for using Allexperts
Eric Brandt, B.Sc. Pharm

Alternative Medicine

Eric Brandt

I will answer questions regarding prescripion and non prescription drugs as well as commonly used mdicinal herbs. I will also answer questions on various medical conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, thyroid problems, diabets, menopause, parkinson`s disease, multiple sclerosis, depression etc.

I am a practicing hospital pharmacist with 10 years experience in hospital and 10 years retail pharmacy experience prior to that.
I have my own drug information web site at I also publish an online newsletter. Subscription is free. To learn more go to

Contributed to an article in CNS Drugs. Currently publishing a free monthly nwletter. To learn more go to

B.Sc. Pharm