Alternative Medicine/Detox symptoms?

Sharon, I am a 56 year old guy, decent health. Two weeks ago I decided to give up my twp prescriptions, Avalide for hypertension, and Losec for acid reflux, and overcome these problems with diet and lifestyle changes. Basicly no coffee, alcohol, salt, spicy foods. It seems to be working, but in the last two days, I have been very tired, cold like symptoms, and my urine, normally yellow, is clearer, almost white and the smell is different. My partner thinks this is 'detox symptoms' and a good thing, I will get over it and feel better. What do you think? Thanks!

Hi Bud
You have some great objectives for your health, which is great.  It is expectable that changing your usual routine (eg medication) will change some things in your body, however, I would not expect the urine changes that you describe.
Some food can change the odour of urine (such as asparagus) but as one of the effects of Avalide is diuresis, (urinating more & more dilute/pale urine), what you are describing is the opposite of what would be expected from stopping it.
If your fluid intake is between 1.5 and 2 L per day and you are not , then it might be smart to have a urine test done, especially if there is any froth or discomfort while urinating.  
Additionally, I highly recommend you have your blood pressure monitored to ensure it is within safe parameters.

All the best.

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.