Alternative Medicine/Leg edema + venous ulcers

Question
QUESTION: Hello Jayne,

I am a 59 yr old male with a history of hypertension, peripheral artery disease, heart disease, and 4 yrs ago I had a triple bypass.  I should also mention that I am obese, about 100lbs overweight.  

My health is relatively stable, all except for my BP which I take daily medications for and it stays relatively in normal range, and except for lower leg edema and ulcers.  My right leg is the most severe, which has the ulcers.  I have had ultrasound on my legs to check for blockages and valve deficiencies and the tests were inconclusive. They could not explain why my right leg was worse than the left.

I have gone to a wound care clinic to treat the ulcers, which involved mostly compression wraps.  They suggested a surgical procedure called ELVIS in which they use a catheter to access the arteries and veins of the leg, but I am hesitant about a procedure this invasive.  Without help I am unable to adequately wrap my own lower legs, and the wound clinic discharged me having instructed me to wear compression stockings or wrappings as best I could.  But I'm afraid I have not been very vigilant about keeping them compressed, as it is so difficult for me to do.    

So the reason I am writing to you today is to ask if you have any knowledge of a way to heal myself naturally?  I have long studied alternative medicine so I am open to any modality.  I am on a low sodium diet and I keep my legs elevated as much as possible.  My PCP did have me taking a diuretic but it caused me to cramp so bad that I stopped taking it after 1 month.  It had no effect on the edema at all.   Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do to help my circulation, which will help the edema?

Thank you,
Gary

ANSWER: There isn't just one easy asswer. The only thing in my opinion is a change in lifestyle. Not to be harsh but you have let things go to far. Not too late but would require a dramatic change. Are you willing and able to do that?  Start with diet and water intake. I would eat nothing but foods of nature. I would cut out gluten and sugar. Those two things alone can help you lose weight, reduce inflammation and improve all aspects of your health. Diet should be greens , fruits first then steamed veggies, raw salad, grains, oatmeal,  fresh juices, eat some  meat  and fish , chicken, but very little for a while. Cut out dairy as much as possible. That all seems hard but your cravings will decrease .you won't require as much food because you will be getting all the nutrients.
Add nuts and flaxseed nut butters,  Drink 8 glasses of distilled water with some himilayan salt added. Take potassium and you need some salt, but use himilayan salt. Salt is not the issue. It's imbalance of minerals.make kale shakes and take spirilina for green vitamins and minerals. Make usre your bowels are moving everyday. They will with change In diet.  Get up and move or move your legs leg lifts.   That's all for now. You can ask questions. Jayne

QUESTION: Jayne,

Thank you so much for your quick response.  It is true I have let myself go in recent years.  This is largely due to a very high stress job and depression, which sapped my energy and led to inactivity and weight gain.  Thankfully I no longer have the job so I am in the process of trying to undo the damage from years of neglect.  Yes, I am willing to make changes.

I will do my best to change lifestyles, although I already drink a lot of water, eat oatmeal and a variety of nuts (walnuts, cashews, pecans).  I do not drink distilled water as I have always heard it can deplete the body of nutrients.  Is that the reasoning for adding the Himalayan salt?   I take vitamin and mineral supplements, as well as probiotics.  I have been trying to be more active, as in walking or generally moving around more.  I have not been very good at eating greens, and although my dairy intake isn't much I will cut back.  I do not eat sweets (sugars) but I do eat carbs, so I will make sure I cut back on them. I will begin making those changes right away.

I appreciate your input and will start putting your suggestions to good use.  

Thanks again, and have a Merry Christmas!  
Gary

Answer
Good for you. Yeh.  I like to start a with distilled water in the beginning, but if that makes you uncomfortable, you can do spring. Yes the salt is really good for you. Also add digestive enzymes to diet and b complex, kidney herbs might be good too. Good luck. Yeh again, keep in touch. Jayne

Alternative Medicine

Jayne Boyle