Alternative Medicine/Low-level Allergy Wheeziness

Question

I live in an area where soon it will be spring, and I know spring/summer allergies are coming. I have my allergies well controlled, but the one symptom I am already starting to feel is a low-level wheeziness. I have a rescue inhaler, but I hate to use it for anything other than emergencies (especially now that my insurance has changed and I am sure refills will be very expensive).

I have heard that chamomile tea can help wheeziness. Is there any other tea or anything like that that I could use when I get a bit wheezy? It is never enough to seriously inhibit me, or I would use my inhaler and talk to my allergist. It is just enough to annoy me.

Thanks!

Cate

Answer
Hi Cate
Thanks for the question.  
The chamomile helps because it has anti-inflammatory properties.
You might like to emphasise oily fish, natural nuts and seeds, green leafy vegetables, dark berries and beetroot in your diet and use plenty of turmeric in your cooking.  Avoid pro-inflammatory foods (wheat, dairy and excessive meat)  All these strategies will help against inflammation.
You could also supplement with Quercetin (+/- Bromelains if you aren't allergic to pineapple).  
The best thing you could do though is to see a herbalist for some specific herbs for your respiratory system.

I hope this is helpful

Kind regards
Sharon

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich