Alternative Medicine/dry mouth/smooth tongue

I've been experiencing an extremely dry mouth for years now.  So much so that i have to sip water with every bite of food.  I wake up in the middle of the night because it is too uncomfortable sleep.  It's hard to carry-on a conversation longer than a few minutes without moistening my mouth. My tongue is smooth in the middle and is extremely sensitive to anything spicy..even ketchup.  My sense of taste is all but gone. I'm wondering what's causing this. I am an asthmatic and I use a Dulera inhaler to help me breathe.  I thought this could be the cause of my dry mouth, but i've gone as long as three weeks without using the inhaler and didn't notice any relief from the dry mouth.  I've also been diagnosed with sjogrens syndroms which is an auto-immune disease, which i'm told can cause dryness. So perhaps that is the cause?  Either way, i'd like to figure out the root cause and finally resolve it naturally if at all possible.

Dear Kim

I completely agree with you that Dulera inhaler could be the cause of your dry mouth.
You can go to and educate yourself.

With the age people produce less saliva. Saliva is vital protective factor for mouth because it has antimicrobial, antiinflammation actions and flushing effect. Lack of good quality and amount of saliva can lead to infection and oral thrush. Thrush is an infection of the mouth caused by the Candida-yeast with pain and tongue sensitivity.

I do not know your entire medical date, so it would be unprofessional to give you advice. By common sense, you have to ask your doctor to change the medication that cause serious side effect, especially in the long run.

If you want to know about non-drug approach to asthma, you may go to our website

I wish you health.

Peter Melamed, Ph.D.

Alternative Medicine

Peter Melamed PhD

I have MD degree and decades of the experience in holistic medicine, acupuncture, herbs, cleansing techniques’, diet and drinking healing mineral water, nutritional supplementation and hypnosis. I think, I can answer many questions in the area of non-drug treatment of various chronic diseases, especially gastrointestinal disorders. I am a holistic practitioner at Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco, California

I worked as an MD (anesthesiology, intensive care, gastroenterology, Men’s health, etc) in USSR. PhD in Western Medicine. Alternative medicine practitioner in the Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco for 20 years.

I published many articles in internet and EBook: "Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You" 550 pages and more than 300 references. References 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

In U.S Acupuncture CA license and National Certification Commission for Acupuncture. RN CA license