Alternative Medicine/Cold sores

My son accidentally used my toothbrush and I just had a cold sore come out.  He has a paediatric disorder (not relevant to you), which leaves me worried and desperately trying to minimize an outbreak.  I have given him 2g twice a day of Valtrex form1 day, which is often given at first sign of a cold sore in an effort to minimize lesions.  My question is this.....did I do this in vain since there is no sign of a cold sore yet?  Would it be beneficial to continue giving him Valtrex for a week (during incubation phase), maybe at a lower dose and then give him the higher dose again if he starts getting a cold sore?  Or would the best option have been to just wait until signs of a cold sore were present?  What would the best regime be to minimize outbreak for my son?

I can't find a dermatologist on this site.

Thank you,
Worried mama.

Hi, there
 I am in Alternative Medicine and am not qualified to respond to inquiries regarding pharmaceuticals. I don't know anything about Valtrex (I assume it's for cold sores). But no; I don't see anything wrong with what you've given him but the appearance of a cold sore is almost impossible to prevent. You can't know when one is going to appear since they actually start growing inside the gum. I would go to and put "Valtrex" in the search bar to read about side effects , if any. Then I would go to amazon or to the SilverSol webpage and buy a small tube of Silversol gel. It works on bacteria and viruses and cold sores are viruses. Try applying the gel 3 times a day on cold sores if they appear. Thank you.  

Alternative Medicine

Ask Suz

I can answer questions regarding helping or curing various diseases and ailments as well as make suggestions on what not to do and give my opinion on what traditional medicine says on the subject given. I believe we need doctors for certain problems such as broken bones but I personally have rarely seen a doctor in over ten years. I take over ten supplements per day at age sixty-two. I will do my best to assist in anything from minor infections to major disease but will readily admit when I cannot offer someone any help. I have discovered a fairly novel approach to weightloss in which I have lost ten pounds.

I have been helping heal myself, friends and family for ten years and have studied alternative medicine for fifteen years beginning in approximately 1991.

AA degree Psychology, minor in nursing