Alternative Medicine/Female struggling to lose weight

Hello Sharon,
Iím a 40 year old female and experience high levels of exhaustion.  I work full time and Iím often in bed by 9pm as I canít function the next day without a 10 hours rest.  My son has Elhers Danlos Syndrome type 3 and suspect I have had it and not realisedÖ so the exhaustion is probably related to the hypermobility.  I eat well and take the occasional walk with the dogs, but find exercise very hard.  I really need to lose 10-12kg but find it very difficult even when tracking calories.
Would like some help in losing weight and would be keen to utilise a naturpath Ė however Iím always wary because there is no governing body for that regulates naturopaths and feel worried that they could sell me any sale pitch they like and con people.  What do you think? Thanks so much.

Hi Jane
It can be very frustrating, dealing with exhaustion!  Firstly, I would recommend you get a proper diagnosis via genetic testing. Then we need to find a registered naturopath or registered herbalist - I'm not sure where you live, but possibly I can point you towards someone.  

The first thing that springs to mind for you - is vitamin C.  I would recommend the Lypospheric version (from Liv-On labs) as one that gets a very high dose into the blood stream.  This is not only good for the connective tissue, but also to support your adrenal glands.  There has been some work which indicates 1-4g per day is possibly beneficial.  
There are specific herbal medicines that also support connective tissue, but these need to be prescribed in the context of a consultation.  

If we can't find someone who can work with you, I do offer Skype appointments.
Hope this helps.

Kind regards

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich

Any health related question, particularly those related to an holistic approach, using nutrition, herbal medicine, aromatherapy and lifestyle options.

30 years as a registered nurse, Private health consultant and experienced educator of complementary medicine practitioners.

NZAMH, NZ Nursing Council., AIMA (Associate member), Naturopaths of NZ.

Kai Tiaki Journal. Healthy Options Magazine. See my website for downloadable articles.

Reg Nurse, Post Grad Cert Health Science (Nutrition), Dip Herbal Med, Dip Naturopathy, Dip Aromatherapy.

Best Research Paper, Top Naturopathic Student (2005)

Varied, from all ages and with a range of health issues.