Alternative Medicine/Low ferritin question

QUESTION: I recently had some blood work done and it shows that my ferritin levels are at 13. My doctor seems to think low ferritin is normal but I have terrible insomnia, weight gain, pusatile tinnitus, fatigue, some hair loss and I'm wondering if I'm right in suspecting that low ferritin could be causing these symptoms?

ANSWER: Dear James!

It's hard to say what reason is and what the consequence is. You have many symptoms of the hidden iron deficiency anemia. By my medical experience, we need to focus on your GI tract. Two things may happen.

1.    You do not digest Iron due to bad eating habits, alcohol, little amount of stomach acid, low amount, and quality of pancreatic juice, hiatal hernia, celiac disease and more.

2.    You lose the Iron trough the hidden bleeding (oozing) due to erosion or ulcer in the stomach,
Or duodenum, hemorrhoid, food allergy and food intolerance, Candida-yeast overgrowth and more.

I think, you need to verify why you have such symptoms and treat them accordingly.
If you believe in the alternative medicine and non-drug treatment, I can be beneficial to you.

Have good health.

Peter Melamed PhD
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

QUESTION: Thank for the quick response. I think I do have digestive issues. I had a complete thyroidectomy about a decade ago and had to have radiation treatments (in the form of a pill) on 2 separate occasions. I've read that the radiation could have possibly decreased my stomach acid. I starting taking betaine hcl with pepsin on my own accord (for about 3 months now). I also took B12 and Folate supplements. My vitamin and mineral levels are at optimal levels now, well, except my ferritin levels. My symptoms have persisted and I think it is related to the ferritin. The problem with betaine hcl  is that sometimes I vomit when I take it and then eat a meal ( especially if the meal includes potatoes or sometimes dairy). Could I be taking it incorrectly or could I possibly have another problem like celiac disease?

Dear James!

Do not kill the messenger; I believe that you have to focus on the reasons for low ferritin. You gave me the additional clue for digestive disorder, possible low thyroid function. Some info you may find on our website
You write, “My vitamin and mineral levels are at optimal levels now.” Sorry, I cannot say it for myself, because it changes all the time and needs constant correction.

It will be unprofessional to give you advice without knowing your medical date, age, eating habits, lifestyle, medications, or supplements, work hazard, etc. I do not believe in the self-treatment, quick fix, or silver bullet, especially in your, multidisciplinary medical condition. Try to find the experienced holistic doctor in your area. I can increase your ferritin, but without the comprehensive view of your situation, it is just symptomatic treatment.

I wish you good health and happy life.

Peter Melamed PhD
Phone: (415) 409-3939
Fax: (415) 409-3909

Alternative Medicine

Peter Melamed PhD

I have MD degree and decades of the experience in holistic medicine, acupuncture, herbs, cleansing techniques’, diet and drinking healing mineral water, nutritional supplementation and hypnosis. I think, I can answer many questions in the area of non-drug treatment of various chronic diseases, especially gastrointestinal disorders. I am a holistic practitioner at Biotherapy Clinic in San Francisco, California

I worked as an MD (anesthesiology, intensive care, gastroenterology, Men’s health, etc) in USSR. PhD in Western Medicine. Alternative medicine practitioner in the Biotherapy Alternative Medicine Clinic in San Francisco for 20 years.

I published many articles in internet and EBook: "Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You" 550 pages and more than 300 references. References 1. Peter Melamed, Ph.D., Felix Melamed, LAc, MSTCM. EBook Healthy Pancreas, Healthy You. Publisher Biotherapy, Inc, September 2014 2. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas. JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2014 Nov 28; 15(6): 552-560 3. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. Short Review of Our Work - "Chronic Metabolic Acidosis Destroys Pancreas" with Focus on the Functional Exocrine Pancreatic Disorders JOP. J Pancreas (Online) 2015 Jul 08; 16(4):365-368 4. Peter Melamed, PhD, and Felix Melamed, MS. Acidity Kills the Pancreas. Townsend Letter, the Examiner of Alternative Medicine. August/September 2015, p. 74-80 5. Peter Melamed, Felix Melamed. The Role of the Metabolic Acidosis in the Development of Chronic Pancreatitis. SM Group (USA) Chronic Pancreatitis: Recent Advances. 2015, Aug 10

In U.S Acupuncture CA license and National Certification Commission for Acupuncture. RN CA license