Alternative Medicine/Can I avoid a root canal?

Question
Hello Sharon,
I have had a sore tooth for about a year. My Dentist has filled a large cavity and said the root may have been damaged. We are currently trialing another repair to the tooth, but a root canal has been suggested in the event this repair does not work.
I do not want to get a root canal, so I am hoping there is a way to save the tooth/root and get them to heal. I have heard of stories of this being done.
Do you know of any options?
Tooth can hurt when biting something hard and it is very sensitive to anything cold.
Thank you for your time,

Answer
Hello Stephen,
This is always a difficult decision.  The dentist's objective is to "save the tooth" at all costs! (your cost!).  I have successfully supported a patient to avoid a root canal by using high dose vitamin C (Lypospheric form, 4-6 g daily) and good quality echinacea.

If this doesn't work, then you may still be faced with the problem.  

The main issue with root canals is that they pose a permanent challenge to the immune system.  Each tooth has a massive network of microscopic channels, that will always harbour some of the infecting agent.  By removing the tooth's nerve and circulatory system, your immune system cannot get to it.  I have had patients who have had to have root canals redone, or they've abcessed, requiring endodontic surgery.
My personal preference would be extraction and an implant.  

All the best.
Sharon

Alternative Medicine

Sharon Erdrich