Alternative Medicine for Pets/EPI Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency

Zair wrote at 2012-11-07 19:46:37
I'm sorry, but this is terrible advice.

Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency is an inherited genetic disorder wherein the pancreas stops producing the enzymes necessary to digest food. The properties of the food itself are largely irrelevant, and you cannot cause EPI through diet mismanagement any more than you can cause type 1 diabetes. This is not an environmentally-generated condition.

If anything, raw foods in particular would be a mistake, as cooking food makes it more bio-available, and easier to digest. A dog with this disease can die in a matter of weeks without proper supplementation. Regular enzymes don't cut it, they have to be those produced by a working pancreas and can only be sourced there.

Also, for someone who is not a vet, discouraging vaccination and contravening professional advice is really inappropriate.

To Sue: there are a number of tutorials available online that detail specific instructions for processing raw pig pancreas (the stuff that pancrease v is made from) and the dosage to mix in with your dog's food. It's a little tough to source (do you have a friendly local butcher?) but is generally very inexpensive.  

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.