Alternative Medicine for Pets/Hamster cloudy eye

My hamster is a syrian (teddy bear) and she's about 1.5 years old. About a month ago I noticed she was not opening completely the right eye. I took her to the vet, he examined and said she had an eye infection, and there was a gray spot in the bottom of the eye. He prescribed an eye drop every 8h for a week. After that the eye didn't heal, and I took her to the vet again, he saw that the grey spot had grown, and he changed the eye drops and said to use them every 8h for 2 weeks.
The treatment will be complete next monday, and it got better, but still she has not open the eye completely and I can still see the gray spot.
Her overall behavior is normal. What do you think it can be, and what else should I do to heal my baby?

Hello Barbara,

I would look into 2 things: 1)a liquid homeopathic eye drop (possibly Newton, or any of several other good companies..check on line) and 2)Colloidal Silver: a high quality, ionized variety, 30ppm both internally an in her eye. If you can't find this locally in a health food store, go to my site: we have our own top quality product there and not at rip off prices. Where ever you find it,either e-mail me directly at or call me directly at my shop: 727-327-2356 for suggestions on how to use it.

Keep me posted.

PS: if you use ceder bedding, I would change it for corn cob or pine until the eye is ok. Also,if your girl eats fresh fruits and veggies, you may either want to give her a tiny bit more, or better yet supplement her with some form of more potent condensed veggie and fruit, enzyme and phytonutrient supplement (cold processed)from the health food store. Don't overload her and risk giving her diarrhea, ease her into it a pinch at a time.

Alternative Medicine for Pets

Susan R Griffin

I can answer questions concerning pet allergies, natural flea control, breeding and dog breeds, puppy training, pets and stress, and pretty much any dog related question.

I have been a Holistic Pet Care Consultant for over 20 years. My specialties are nutrition and flea, skin and coat problems but I have experience with other health issues as well. I have been studying canine nutrition for over 20 years as well and have a broad knowledge base there including breed specific information. I am the author of The Healthy Pet Handbook and Simple Steps to a Healthy Pet as well as many other pet related articles; and have hosted radio talk shows on natural pet care. I conduct seminars on natural pet care, relationship training and the spiritual, energetic relationship between people and companion animals. I trained my first dog in 7th grade, bread my first litter in 12th grade and began showing at age 20 (I'm now 60). I have studied dogs all of my life and I have a degree in Psychology with minors in Ecology and Animal Behavior from Utah State University. I am a graduate of The New York School of Dog Grooming (1972) and Orchard Kennels School of Training (can't remember the year). I am the founder and owner of Naturals For Animals in St Petersburg, FL and the developer of Critter Oil and other natural products and Pet Energy Therapy, a pet assisted therapy for people. I look forward to answering your questions and feel free to read the articles on my site,

National Association of Counselors and Therapists

Pet Pages Magazine Journal of the Association of Counselors and Therapists New Times Naturally

As stated above: Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming, Orchard Kennels School of Training, Utah State University (BS), Certified Hypno-therapist, Certified Stress Management Consultant and ordained minister. Personal studies over 20 years in Canine nutrition, alternative therapies and holistic medicine.

Thousands of now healthy, happy pets and their owners.